Silkies vs. Easter Eggers vs. Rhode Island Reds & who likes being held

meditativerose

Hatching
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Two years ago, we got our first chicks, four Rhode Island Reds and four Australorps. They all grew to love being held, though the RIRs liked it much more, so much so that tow of them now eagerly hop up into my lap for a cuddle at every opportunity.

This year, we got one RIR, three Easter Eggers, and five Silkies (two buff, two black, one white). The RIR doesn't mind being held at all, the Easter Eggers are also fine with it. But much to my surprise, the Silkies seem to really dislike being held. The white one is the most tolerant, but overall, they just don't like it. I expected the Silkies to be a lot more docile and friendly.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with Silkies, if the "lapdog of the poultry world" is a misnomer, or if I'm just plain doing something wrong. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Susan

I haven't had many silkies (4 in the 3 years I've kept chickens). They all hated me at first- except the rooster. He loved everyone! When the pullets finally started laying they became much friendlier. I would accidently step on them just about everytime I went to the coop. Give them some time- they're in a new place and probably just need time to adjust. Good luck with them. Oh, and us BYCers simply adore fuzzy chick pics!

I have Silkies, RIR's, d'Uccles, Polish, BR's, and EE's.

Out of them all, my Silkies are the ones LEAST wanting to be held.

I got them because I thought they'd be a "lap" chicken.

Oh, well.

My d'Uccles, however, are the sweetest and love to sit in my lap or on my shoulder.
love.gif

I wonder why Silkies are billed as being so affectionate and docile when they kind of...aren't. And what a shame that they're so adorable and cuddly-looking that they make you want to cuddle them, but hate being touched. I'm going to keep trying. I hope things improve. If they don't, I've still got my EEs and RIRs.
smile.png

I have 7 adult silkies. Two want nothing to do with me, three are kind of indifferent, and two are very friendly, like to jump up on me, sit on my lap, etc. The chicks won't come anywhere near me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom