Silkies with new babies TODAY - help!

MOvermeyer

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Should I put an incandescent light bulb in with the mom and babies full time for warmth or will momma be enough? It is getting down into the high 30's at night some nights this week.

It definitely would not hurt. If she's a new Mom she may not be as careful with keeping all the little ones rounded up as one more experienced...If they are in a larger space those babies are sometimes bad to get out and wanter off to a cold corner too...I have mine on open wire bottoms and they are a almost two months old I have recently put them back on shavings with the cold coming on. Good luck! Stay warm!
Kim:)

This has been the craziest thing. First the gray Silkie started setting on 8 or 9 eggs on the 25th of October. That number of eggs kept growing every day - the other Silkie hen was laying her eggs next to the broody #1 (gray), and I guess she just moved the eggs under herself after the black Silkie hen left. Last I checked there were 17 under that one poor little Silkie! Then about a week ago, the 2nd (black) Silkie started sharing the setting duties - and they both sat - side by side on all those eggs. I've seen at least 5 babies so far - but we could potentially have little ones hatching for up to 10 days still - if the mommas sit still that long.

How do you post a picture?

Would love to see a pic! My friend has some silkies that share/steal each other's eggs all the time. I'm pretty sure not all of them hatch, but a lot of them do!

In order to post a pic, you have to upload it from your computer to a picture sharing site on the internet. Then you take the code and copy and paste it here in the "typing" box on the forum. The one I use is photobucket (www.photobucket.com) It's completely free and comes in handy!

Back
Top Bottom