1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazychickhen, Jan 2, 2016.

1. crazychickhen

crazychickhen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    Hi there ! I just acquired three beautiful silkies and would like to be blasted with info as far as their temperament, socialization, and facts. I have seen a lot of people on here who have them inside the house, and they look very well groomed. Do they enjoy being brushed? I know that seems like a dumb question, however the three I got are about 6 months old and look rougher than the ones I am seeing photos of on here. I know that the three were acquired from a home that no longer wanted them, so I want to ensure they are taken care of the best way possible. They are very affectionate already with me after 1 day, but any tips or suggestions to socialize them further and make them happiest would be much appreciated ! Thanks so much in advance for the info !

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats on your new birds and good for you for giving them a home! Silkies are one of those breeds that are considered great as pets and for kids. They may even be close to #1 on that list of breeds, actually. They're very even tempered, laid back, and overall very sweet. Of course, there is an exception to every rule. However I have not had a Silkie I would consider overly aggressive, yet. I never really brush mine and they do not come in the house, unfortunately. However, care should be taken to make sure their feathers on their shanks and feet don't get too matted. These get dirtier faster for obvious reasons. They also lack the barbicels that most birds have in their feathers (hence the "furry" plumage) which doesn't make them too water proof. And like all crested breeds, their feathery crests limit their vision which makes them more vulnerable to predators. Silkie hens are also notorious mothers. Some are born to brood and don't lay well because they spend more time attempting to hatch eggs rather than lay them. As for socialization, just spend time with and around them. As a rule, they have very calm personalities which makes socialization quite easy. They're really a great bird to have around, in my opinion. Sweet, eye-catching, and cute!

Here's a link to the reviews on Silkies to get some insight from others who have/had them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/silkie

Good luck to to you, and hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by