1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SILKIES

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2255silkie, Mar 1, 2013.

1. 2255silkie

2255silkie New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]Hi i have silkies and had a friend today i just recently met that has silkies to she is new at it as well ,she said to add seven dust to my silkies to the flocks bed every now and then this would help keep down bugs,mites etc does anyone know or herd of doing this as i dont want to do this if it would put my silkies in danger? Thanks for your comments.

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Seven dust is very potent and poisonous. Yes it will kill the bugs but I wouldn't do it. Go with woodash or DE. It works just as well but is better for them.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, the only time I use Sevin is when there's clearly already an infestation. Their regular dust bathes naturally keep pests in check. Infestations are usually caused by other critters (wild birds, rodents, ect) sharing their coop. DE (Diatomatious Earth- the food grade kind) is fabulous as long as its kept dry. It cuts open the insects exoskeletons and dries them out. Wood ash is fantastic as well, mix some into their normal bathing holes, they'll love it. Otherwise, just let them throw some dirt around and they should be alright. With regular, normal dust bathes I've never had a mite or lice problem with my Silkies. Good luck.
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by