Silkies

prose15

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Tennessee
My local TSC has bantam silkies. Of course, I have looked them up online and think they are very cute. My question is, can they be kept with standards? Also, how can I improve their visibility? Thanks, prose_15

I have three silkies (two hens and a cockerel) I keep them with my 11 other standards. One of my standard roosters protected the cockerel from the cats when we first got him, so I think it's fine to keep them together
I only have to worry about the bearded-muffed silkies having poor sight (I trim back the feathers so I can see their eyes). Sometimes I bath them and turn on the hairdryer on low and dry their head feathers in to place so they can see

That depends on the Standards and how aggressive they are. Have you ever introduced new birds to the flock before?

No, but they seem easy going. They never show any aggression towards the cats or dogs or wild birds stealing their food.

Either way, your best bet is to go in assuming they will not get along. Build the silkies a temporary tractor and they can stay in that while they acclimate to eachother. Start with supervised freerange time and then when everybody seems to be getting along you can slip the silkies in when everyone is sleeping.

Either way, your best bet is to go in assuming they will not get along. Build the silkies a temporary tractor and they can stay in that while they acclimate to eachother. Start with supervised freerange time and then when everybody seems to be getting along you can slip the silkies in when everyone is sleeping.

Can enyone help me iv had an egg this morming with a lot of blood in it . Is this ok .

You probably want to create a new thread in the Injuries category. The bird might be hurt internally, it could be some kind of infection. She might just heal on her own and her next egg might be fine.

Back
Top Bottom