silky feeders

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
Does anyone elses silky chickens make a mess when eating out of the feeder? Mine get all the food all over the ground. Am i using the wrong feeder? should i raise it up? its chest height off the ground.
i am using this one..My ISA browns dont make a mess with this feeder at all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-160704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118-160704_Chrome.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 13
Are you using a mixed feed that would cause the silkies to rake the feed for goodies? Other than using a uniform feed like pellets or crumbles, can you raise the front lip of the feeder or add a 1/2" wide inner lip that protrudes into the feed tray? Chicken wire laid on top the feed helps too. One other thing, how high is the feed level in the lower front tray? Choking off the flow with a strip of cardboard might help if the feed level is too high.

Are you using a mixed feed that would cause the silkies to rake the feed for goodies? Other than using a uniform feed like pellets or crumbles, can you raise the front lip of the feeder or add a 1/2" wide inner lip that protrudes into the feed tray? Chicken wire laid on top the feed helps too. One other thing, how high is the feed level in the lower front tray? Choking off the flow with a strip of cardboard might help if the feed level is too high.
i use crunbles. i have thought of raising the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom