Silky hen not eating and holding mouth open

relicshunter

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
I am a duck person so know little about chickens. I had gotten a couple silky chicks to keep a sole ducking company and was just going to sell them when they got bigger. One never grew, the seller called it a pixie, I assume that was code for weak runt. The other grew and is a now a 7 month old hen. She has had a couple of weird seizure like flipping out bouts months ago. I was unsure about why and felt like I shouldn't put it out in the cold so it has lived inside. Three days ago it stopped eating or drinking, and just sits in place with it's mouth open. It was eating layer pellet with a little grain to have a treat. Droppings look ok, no weazing, shaking head, coughing, just sits there. I don't see anything in the mouth and have been syringing in watered down mash a couple times a day. Eyes look ok, I am just not seeing anything out of the ordinary. I believe it is a frizzle as some of the feathers are more feather like and not all fluff. Is this just a weak bird? due to poor breeding? any clues please help. Thanks

Silkies are more prone than "normal" chickens to a number of issues (everything from Marek's disease to head trauma due to vaulted skulls). Hard to say if your case is just bad luck or bad breeding.

More info might help us narrow down what the current problem could be. The past seizures are worrisome, but could be unrelated... Is she laying/has she started laying eggs? Is she simply choosing to sit or when you try to get her to stand does she seem unable to? Is her crop is still emptying normally between the times you feed her? Can you post a picture of her?

She is not laying, has not started yet. I don't feel anything. She has a pretty large vaulted top, and the seizure like thing I saw was odd flopping around very quickly over. Her crop is emptying and I am not getting a lot into her as she fights me, and she is able to stand but is just not. She is standing a little bit this morning but not moving.

She is standing a little more today and I saw her eating a bit. Didn't see her eat and she is fighting me more when I try to syringe in food. I don't know if I should keep trying to syringe feed or hope she is getting enough on her own. Any suggestions?

She is standing a little more today and I saw her eating a bit. Didn't see her eat and she is fighting me more when I try to syringe in food. I don't know if I should keep trying to syringe feed or hope she is getting enough on her own. Any suggestions?
Good to hear she is on her feet more. Have you tried a "new" meal to get her excited about eating? My girls eat plain pellets and find them boring, but when I soak them in a little water and mix in spoon of yogurt to make a mash they devour their meal. Some birds also really love treats like scrambled egg and tuna. Finally there is the "torpedo feeding" method to try if you're worried she's not getting enough food, though it's hard to say whether she would like that any more than a syringe in her mouth.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Also does she have any company in the house? Some chickens can't seem to thrive alone.

Good to hear she is on her feet more. Have you tried a "new" meal to get her excited about eating? My girls eat plain pellets and find them boring, but when I soak them in a little water and mix in spoon of yogurt to make a mash they devour their meal. Some birds also really love treats like scrambled egg and tuna. Finally there is the "torpedo feeding" method to try if you're worried she's not getting enough food, though it's hard to say whether she would like that any more than a syringe in her mouth.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Also does she have any company in the house? Some chickens can't seem to thrive alone.
I've given a little scratch and some game crumbles I have. She doesn't have company and I try to talk with her as much as I can. I moved her outside a month ago but all I have is ducks for close company. I brought her back in a few weeks back because we dropped in temp a lot ( more then usual for this part of FL) and I didn't think she was conditioned for it yet. I know it's not the best set up and if I can get her past this I need to work on rehoming her. I hadn't meant to keep her then she had the seizure like fits.

I am a duck person so know little about chickens. I had gotten a couple silky chicks to keep a sole ducking company and was just going to sell them when they got bigger. One never grew, the seller called it a pixie, I assume that was code for weak runt. The other grew and is a now a 7 month old hen. She has had a couple of weird seizure like flipping out bouts months ago. I was unsure about why and felt like I shouldn't put it out in the cold so it has lived inside. Three days ago it stopped eating or drinking, and just sits in place with it's mouth open. It was eating layer pellet with a little grain to have a treat. Droppings look ok, no weazing, shaking head, coughing, just sits there. I don't see anything in the mouth and have been syringing in watered down mash a couple times a day. Eyes look ok, I am just not seeing anything out of the ordinary. I believe it is a frizzle as some of the feathers are more feather like and not all fluff. Is this just a weak bird? due to poor breeding? any clues please help. Thanks

She is not laying, has not started yet. I don't feel anything. She has a pretty large vaulted top, and the seizure like thing I saw was odd flopping around very quickly over. Her crop is emptying and I am not getting a lot into her as she fights me, and she is able to stand but is just not. She is standing a little bit this morning but not moving.
Please post photos of her and her poop.

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Has she been unable to stand?

I'd work on hydration, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Do make sure she's got grit (crushed granite) available.
How long has she been on layer feed?
How long has she been outside? A month, with Ducks?
Have you treated for Coccidiosis?

Please post photos of her and her poop.

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Has she been unable to stand?

I'd work on hydration, see that her crop is emptying overnight. Do make sure she's got grit (crushed granite) available.
How long has she been on layer feed?
How long has she been outside? A month, with Ducks?
Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
Her crop is emptying, and feels fine, she is standing as of today and holding her head up almost normal height(just a little pulled in) and being a little talkative. She has been on layer food for a few months, outside less then a month then brought in because we dropped to below freezing over and over. She had a separite cage that she could see a few ducks for company. Poops look good but I try to get a picture tomorrow. I syringed in watery mash to make sure she is getting enough fluids. Today was a total loss for doing anything as I have an epileptic dog that was have clusters. I am exhausted, he's doing better. I will work on pictures tomorrow, to me the poops like normal.

Back
Top Bottom