silly ? do you leave the coop open

doodledo

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 4, 2007
during the day while they are in the run? I am new to this, as if you cant tell.
tongue.png

Come summer time we leave their door open to the run 24/7. Ours lay eggs at different times of the day, so leaving the door open allows them free access to their nest boxes and food/water.

I do exactly the same as CC, but I dont let mine out until a bit later (as they approach laying age, I am hoping they will use this time to lay) usually around 10am, and then lock them in at 8-9pm. The big door gets closed (to keep the goats out) but they have a smaller chicken door that is open all day long so they can go in and out as they please. My chickens also free range all day.

I do the same as CC and 4H Mom...but have been keeping my girls in until about 11 AM. I am hoping when they start laying they will use the nests in the coop and not outside while free-ranging.

If your chickens are free range, do you have to catch them all and put them in the coop or do they learn to go in at a certain time? I'm a total newbie, so I know close to nothing about this right now.

Quote:
the Birds put themselves away, before it gets dark. Chickens have poor vision at night, so they prefer to be in their coop safe before it gets dark. as young birds, they do have to be taught tho.
smile.png

MY coop is a stone building the previous owner constructed for the purpose of housing chickens. It holds 24 right now.
They all go in around 8 pm, light or dark. I let them out before I go to work at 7am to roam about 3 acres. They go in before 8, and then I shut the door.

Back
Top Bottom