Silly little BO hen?

Gloria

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Davison/Otisville,Michigan
I have a 6 month old BO hen. She went in the coop the other day and layed her egg in her favorite nest then came back outside. As she came out she started picking up leaves off the ground and trying to throw them on her back. It was like she was trying to cover her tracks of something! Has anyone else seen this happen? Is this normal or is she just a silly little BO hen? She kept doing for quite a few minutes. Just picking them up and throwing them on her back.

my sussex used to do that. and chirped the whole time at anyone who came near her while she worked. she loaded only the largest shavings on her back. she would sit and look at the chips and toss the little ones aside.

finally, after she had 'enough' in the nest, she would lay her egg.

it's a hoot to watch. i hope she does it again for you, Gloria!

Camoflaging for a sneak attack? Sort of like when hunters put leaf branches in their hat....

Really though, my hens do that with straw...it's a nest thing.....

I have never personally observed that behavior, but am interested in knowing why too.
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Oh man, I've been hoping she would go broody all summer long. But I thought she was to young for that. I sure hope she doesn't do it now. It's getting too cold out now! Never had a broody before so I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom