1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silly question- banty hen X regular roo?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TeamChaos, Jul 19, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Our little japanese banty is sitting on eggs- I see development in the eggs, but it got me thinking- if that little hen crossed with some of the full sized roos, with the eggs still develop normally?

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I don't think the chicks in the eggs would develop correctly. It's something about the genes.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    Do you have any bantam roosters?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    We have two japanese banty roosters and two red wyandotte bantam roos wandering around here, so there's a chance of a banty daddy...

5. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    Oh Ok....... Well You Might Just have purebred Japs! I've aways wanted some Japanese Bantams...... Did you order yours?

6. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    My daughter picked them out at the local feedstore actually... I told her she could raise a few chickens of her own this year and she picked out the "runts" in the day old cage. Turns out they're japanese bantams, and quite handsome specimens at that!

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I'm not sure it would be a problem. I'm not up on chicken breeding, but you can breed a shire horse to a miniature pony and the foetus will only grow as big as the womb allows, meaning you'd end up with a smaller shire, or larger miniature. Obviously the foal then grows to be neither as small as the miniature, nor as large as the shire, but you get my point.
    To get bantams in the first place, selective breeding must have happened, involving breeding the smallest bird to the type of bird wanted to miniaturise, no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by