Silly question...What do ducks do in the winter?

Funsizeracing

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I've only got chickens and was just looking in here for fun. For those of you in the midwest area, what do the ducks do in the winter? I wanted ducks, my boyfriend said I can't because they have to "fly south"
roll.png
I'm pretty sure he made that up just so I woudn't bring any home. Anywho, what kind of set up do ducks need for a midwest winter?
Please don't flame me, I really just don't know
sad.png

not all ducks "fly south" during the winter. Heavy breeds like Pekins, Appleyards, and others CAN'T fly because of their weight. They can make it just fine through Midwest winters as long as they have food, water, and shelter. I have a 10X10 chain link dog kennel with a roof built over it. Inside the kennel is a large dog house with Equine Pine pellets and shavings on the floor. They sleep snug and warm, and are always ready to zip out the door as soon as I undo the latch & safety lock (for keeping out deft-handed raccoons). The entire kennel is wrapped in chicken wire to help convince any would-be predator that they're not worth the bother.
smile.png
I keep a rubber dog bowl in the kennel with them, and if it freezes, I can pop out the ice and add fresh water. They have a kiddie pool as their pond. Cleaning time on it varies, but I usually drain and refill it every 7 -10 days in the summer. It doesn't get dirty as quickly in the winter. I just love watching ducks be ducks!
love.gif

CRTRLOVR-how do you go thru 7-10 days with your pool. I have 4 ducks and a small kiddie pool and they muck it up in about 2 hours! What am I doing wrong???????
idunno.gif

MN winters can be quite brutal. Each duck owner has their own way of managing. I house mine indoors in their own building. It is deeply bedded with wood chips. A layer of DE sprinkled on & raked in keeps my ducks dry. Water bowl is heated dog bowl with board across half to prevent baths. They have feed, treats and diversions. All have wintered well and are reproducing with gusto.
hugs.gif
I house 2 dozen calls.
love.gif

Last edited:
OMG!!!
How do your ducks keep their water clean. I cant even fill up a pool without it being dirty by the time the pool has finished filling. Same with water buckets.

If you meant me, I have the heated dog bowls against a wall with a heavy board that coveres half the bowl. All drink, wash heads, rinse behind their ears, take a mouthful of water as they leave:drool. Sometimes, they rinse a couple mouths full of wood chips in the water, but that's it.
wee.gif
My hanging feeder is 4' from water bowl.​

Back
Top Bottom