silly question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericmcginn5, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    this might sound like a silly question but I built a second coop and I already have one. but if I let all the chickens out will they all get in the same coop? or will they go to there coop

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No question is silly if you don't know the answer ;-)

You might have to lock the chickens in the new coop for a couple days until they think of it as 'home'....then block off the old one and let them roam again.

3. ericmcginn5

Apr 2, 2013
    ok I can do that they arnt old enof to go in the flock yet anyways. the part that's going to be confussing is the coops with be 100 feet from each other and the coop are exactly the same lol

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why do you have two identical coops?....what are your goals with 2 coops?

Maybe they're not big enough for all the birds so you want to split the flock?

5. chickensss

chickensss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    they will probably go to the original coop bc that was there original home. but if u block that off and maybe throw some scratch or treats in the second coop, they will go there and eventually feel comfortable there. but u want to do this gradually bc u don't want to stress them out

6. ericmcginn5

Apr 2, 2013
    i made a second coop becouse i wanted to add to the flock and couldnt offord one large coop becouse i alreaddy had the other. and becouse they are only month old chicks at the moment and cant get allong with the other chickens so i built them a coop and that is there perminit coop.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have runs attached to the coops or do they free range?

The little ones living in the new coop will think of it as home once they grow big enough(3-4months old) you let them out with the existing chickens.

They may switch things up after the little grow up.

8. ericmcginn5

Apr 2, 2013
    they do have a run on the coop but they all free range i dont like caged up animals for long periods of time. ok ty i was just hoping when they all grow up they wont all move to one coop. becouse they are in the coop a little bit while im at school a couple hours. and i want them to have plenty of room when im gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by