1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly Silkie Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenguysmom, Nov 2, 2009.

1. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Do all silkie roos have wattles? And when do they get them? Sorry if this is the stupidest question ever but I have one that I am concerned about and would appreciate the information.

2. chickenguysmom

Anybody??? or is the question just way TOO silly?

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Bearded Silkies should not have any wattles, though non-bearded Silkies do.

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Hey there, no question is to silly for an answer. Most Silkies males do have wattles but they do vary in size. The show quality birds are being bred with very small wattles and comb. With the bearded variety you sometimes can't see the wattles at all. In the non bearded variety they are more obvious while much smaller that many other breeds.

My Silkie boys don't really get much in the wattle or comb department till around 5 months then they just sprout up as they become mature and the hormones start to rage.

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Both my silkie roos (around 7 to 8 months of age) have very nice wattles and walnut combs... one roo is bearded and one is not.

6. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Do female silkies have wattles?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Same answer as above.

All silkies have wattles. The better quality bearded ones have almost negligible wattles; occasionally they will have some size, but they are not a reliable gender indicator. Non-bearded silkies have larger wattles, but still smaller than other breeds.

8. chickenguysmom

Thank you for all the great responses. Y'all are soooooo helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by