Silly Swimmer! Also, how to sex goslings??

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
I have two ducks and two Chinese White goslings that love to swim! They are incubator babies but the outside weather has been close to 100F during the daytime. Ive taken to filling a wheel barrow with cool (not freezing) water and placing some bricks in the middle so they can easily walk up onto them if they get tired, plus I'm always sitting right there with them with a small towel to dry off the soaking wet bellies when its time to get out. Don't worry, they dry off quickly in this heat and are never shivering! Sometimes ill toss in metalwork so they can swim after them and eat them (They are supplied grit).

This last time I was watching them, and my (presumably) little lady gosling has taken to her favorite way of swimming: Upside down! Don't worry, she's able to right herself whenever she wants, she just sticks her butt in the air and paddles around, splashing water everywhere! I assume its some sort of diving instinct, but it's the cutest thing. Here's a video!

Also, any advice on sexing these guys? I was hoping I got a bonding pair, as when I chose them I picked the biggest one that was standing upright, and the smallest one that kind of a hen-ish posture. But I really want to know for sure! I can include better pics of them individually if needed

I have two ducks and two Chinese White goslings that love to swim! They are incubator babies but the outside weather has been close to 100F during the daytime. Ive taken to filling a wheel barrow with cool (not freezing) water and placing some bricks in the middle so they can easily walk up onto them if they get tired, plus I'm always sitting right there with them with a small towel to dry off the soaking wet bellies when its time to get out. Don't worry, they dry off quickly in this heat and are never shivering! Sometimes ill toss in metalwork so they can swim after them and eat them (They are supplied grit).

This last time I was watching them, and my (presumably) little lady gosling has taken to her favorite way of swimming: Upside down! Don't worry, she's able to right herself whenever she wants, she just sticks her butt in the air and paddles around, splashing water everywhere! I assume its some sort of diving instinct, but it's the cutest thing. Here's a video!

Also, any advice on sexing these guys? I was hoping I got a bonding pair, as when I chose them I picked the biggest one that was standing upright, and the smallest one that kind of a hen-ish posture. But I really want to know for sure! I can include better pics of them individually if needed
About the only way to be sure of the sex is to actually physically sex them when very small. Pr by behaviors once they are older

Back
Top Bottom