Silver Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Does anyone know where to find these? I want some eggs!

And cinnamon, those are nifty!

Can you somehow breed them from a brown, since this is part of the genetics? Or do you have to have the mutants to create more mutants?

Thanks in advance!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What You Have To Have Is 2 Parents That Carry The Recessive Gene Wether Silver Or Cinnamon (both Need To Be The Same) A Split To Silver + Split To Silver Will Result In Silvers, Split To Silvers And Browns--- Same Thing With Cinnamons. For Cinny's Try Peeps N Bunnies Down Here In Fla.... I Have Some Of Her Stock But No Where Near Enough To Offer Eggs--- If You Find A Source For Silvers Let Me Know [​IMG]

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Silvers would be nice to find.

4. p.james

p.james Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    MS
    Being new to quail, and raising initially for meat purposes, are there any benefits to breeding different birds? I am raising what I was told is jumbo coturnix.

5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    These are just for ornamental purposes. Jumbos are the best for meat, hands down, except maybe (pure) A&Ms if you want white meat.

6. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I actually get Cinnamons out of My tibetan Female and Golden male breeding pair. I have kept a Cinnamon female to breed to our Golden Male.
    She is Beautiful!! and we actually just sold a Cinnamon Tuxedo. That was a cool combo.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've not even heard of silvers, I doubt you'll have any luck getting them. I have a few cinnamons, but they are in a community pen until it gets cool enough to build new pens [​IMG]

My original cinnamons came from peepsnbunnies as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by