Silver Fox weight?

Think of it this way, seniors are rabbits over 8 months when consulting the standard of perfection, which is what I have been mentioning for weights.

Senior is not for senior citizen

Think of it this way, seniors are rabbits over 8 months when consulting the standard of perfection, which is what I have been mentioning for weights.

Senior is not for senior citizen
Right you want to go by standard of perfection ok. What SOP (standard of perfection) on silver fox rabbits that I can find does not state weights at various ages it only states overall weight of 9-12lbs or 1 that I found that breaks it down to does weight of 10-12lbs and bucks weight of 9-11lbs as seniors (what ever age they define senior at). Most go on about the fur not being fully developed til 6 or 7 months of age. Again nothing on weight at various ages.

The OP does not seem interested in the SOP of a show rabbit but a normal silver fox rabbit intended for human consumption which would vary if you think most ppl take the biggest buck and doe and breed them in hopes for as large or larger offspring compared to the parents. hence why using the basic info about rabbits and silver foxes in general to work out something of a "average" weight.

While I get your trying to be helpful SOP is mainly used for all rabbits intended for exibition/show purpose (specially what I can find) which does not seem to be what the OP is on about hence the original reply to you.

I do hope the OP found something helpful in what info I could find. And I hope you have a wonderful morning/afternoon or evening where ever you are.

Yes, the SOP is used for show. But when that's pretty much the only place that has solid numbers weightwise, it's still better than nothing. Silver foxes are considered seniors by either 8 months or a year ( I forget if that breed has an intermediate class or just juniors and seniors.

No one else has really given an answer on their specific question besides generalities, so once again, I figure SOP beats no information. Plus show rabbits usually are a bit smaller because people pay more attention to shape and looks than size, so it's very possible to use those weights as a goal and be pleased when you get heavier rabbits than those

Yes, the SOP is used for show. But when that's pretty much the only place that has solid numbers weightwise, it's still better than nothing. Silver foxes are considered seniors by either 8 months or a year ( I forget if that breed has an intermediate class or just juniors and seniors.

No one else has really given an answer on their specific question besides generalities, so once again, I figure SOP beats no information. Plus show rabbits usually are a bit smaller because people pay more attention to shape and looks than size, so it's very possible to use those weights as a goal and be pleased when you get heavier rabbits than those
Last time checked weight is part of the body point system in the meat class of animals and I don't see small rabbits being favored in meat class at all as being small/ thin is seen as a fault.

You seem to be quite dismissive of not just the OP but also of any info that does not go by SOP which you basically tell us to look for. SOP is not a be all end all and quite literally is only helpful as a guideline for breeding showing rabbits which the OP seems not at all interested in, so would be of no help to them specially when weight at their current age is concered.

Again if rabbits gain 90% of their adult weight by the time they are 4 months old OPs rabbits seem normal or just getting to slightly above normal taking into concideration "average" suggested weight gain from 8 weeks to 8 months for rabbits and the average weight of silver fox bucks.

I'm sorry you feel like my info is no info maybe you could link some resources for both the OP and myself that will give us info.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/silver-fox
http://www.nsfrc.com/fox.php
https://arba.net/silver-fox/
https://www.roysfarm.com/silver-fox-rabbit/
https://animalcorner.org/rabbit-breeds/silver-fox-rabbit/

Most of the above all seem to agree with each other on a standard (fur colour, length etc and weight of does and bucks) none talk about age classes or weight at various ages (unless I some how missed it). I suggest the OP maybe reach out to ARBA (or other groups like it)and breeders if they want more indepth SOP vs just working out a average weight based on basic facts on rabbits and silver fox rabbits in general.

If you have any better info or more in depth about this breed then please by all means throw a link up I would love to read it and I'm sure the OP would as well. They honestly sound like great rabbits.

So I reached out to ARBA and gave them the weights of the OPs bucks and their age and asked if they were normal weight/ above average or below and this is the reply I got and I quote "I would say that she is right on track for normal weight. Senior weight of bucks is 9 to 11 with an ideal of 9.5 lbs, senior does are 10 to 12 with an ideal of 10.5.

Katrina Dye
American Rabbit Breeders Association, Inc.
PO Box 400
Knox, PA 16232".

So with that in mind going forward you could use the weight ideals given to us by Miss or Mrs Dye from the ARBA on silver fox rabbits and the basic info that rabbits gain 90% of their adult weight by 4 months along with the average weight gain of 0.5lbs to 0.75lbs from 8 weeks to 8 months you can kind of work out a average.

But again OP should weight them each week or month whatever works for them and keep track which buck weights what and keep similar notes on any does or buck breed and raised by them as that will help them get a better idea of the average weight that can/will achive.
I wish the OP good luck!

Back
Top Bottom