Silver Labs?

hipdeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Hey there! Anyone have a silver labrador retriever out there? I'm interested in them. Notice any differences in behavior or hardiness? If you like them, do you know a breeder? We are in MA, but would concider shipping. Ideally, I'd like a silver and a silver factor chocolate. Maybe breed them once later on...

-Brooke

I have a black lab, but the only thing I know about silver labs is that they are not recognized by the AKC.

Are they crossed with another breed to get the silver color? If so, I'd be worried about losing the wonderful lab traits and disposition.

Good luck with your search.
smile.png

Dont know a breeder but its not a silver lab I dont believe, I think they are called Weimaraners. There may be silver labs these days!
wink.png

Depends who you ask. But it seems to me based on the AKC's response that they are "pure" labs. The AKC calls them pure, but says they are dilute chocolates. You can't register them silver; you have to register them chocolate. But they have light silver, like a weimeraner, and a charcoal which looks like a dilute black. You can buy a silver factor that carries silver, but won't show up at all unless you're crossing to another factor or a silver... I'm guessing it's a double recessive? But isn't chocolate double recessive already?

Breeding for recessive genes = other health problems. Choose a dog on temperment, structure, and quality, not on color.

Last edited:
I hear you, but chocolates are recessive too, and I've known many a hardy, sound, well natured chocolate lab.

Silver Labs are "pure" labs with a different coloring. IMHO it's just another attempt by backyard breeders to get more money for their puppies. Legit breeders would never aim a breeding program for an unregisterable trait.

A silver lab is variation of chocolate, charcoal is a variation of black, and red is a variation of yellow AKC recognizes them as yellow , black or chocolate and they can be registered I have 2 black and a chocolate lab and have done a lot of research on the different colors because I want to add one to our family !

Back
Top Bottom