Silver-Laced Breed for the Heat?

Pics
Sorry if I missed this from earlier in the thread... are you aiming for laced Australorps...? :drool

If I'd have been able to discover a silver-laced breed that was suitable for the heat I'd have found it much easier to just buy some.

But in the large fowl breeds it's just Wyandottes and Cochins.

I couldn't possibly achieve a new color variety that would merit inclusion in the SOP, but I can probably achieve something silver-laced and Australorp-adjacent. :D

If I'd have been able to discover a silver-laced breed that was suitable for the heat I'd have found it much easier to just buy some.

But in the large fowl breeds it's just Wyandottes and Cochins.

I couldn't possibly achieve a new color variety that would merit inclusion in the SOP, but I can probably achieve something silver-laced and Australorp-adjacent. :D
There is silver laced orpingtons

They don’t do well in the heat though. Mine pant the worst of all my chickens, and I’m in the North. They are too large and fluffy. Like I said earlier in the thread, my (double) silver laced Barnevelders do great in the heat. They handle frigid temperatures very well, too. They have single combs, but their combs are tiny.

Oh yes, the English Orpingtons. Probably at least as bad in the heat as the Cochins with their super-fluffy feathers. :D

Like I said earlier in the thread, my (double) silver laced Barnevelders do great in the heat. They handle frigid temperatures very well, too. They have single combs, but their combs are tiny.

I might try some if I ever have enough "mad money" to get birds that expensive. :D

I wasn't even thinking about the ornamental rather than production breeds so those didn't come to mind. :D I forgot either existed because I always flip past the "Ornamental" and "Bantam" sections of the catalog.

Others in hot climates will certainly have different opinions, but ornamentals won't suit my flock. If it doesn't lay reasonable numbers of US Large or XL eggs and thrive in a mixed flock of assorted breeds it won't work for me. :)

I've heard many stories of Polish being entertaining, but also too many stories of them being viciously bullied in a mixed flock. :(

I know that my SLW does not really thrive in my summers and that the Orpington x Wyandottes don't do as well as, for example, the Australorps either.

I fear for my son's pet Cochin when we hit the expected weeks of 95F+ and 95% humidity.

A Silver-Laced breed with clean legs and a large, single comb is what I'm asking about. :D I can't find one flipping through the hatchery catalogs I have on hand.
Silver laced Barnvelders? They seem to do pretty well here in Sacramento! We don’t have humidity though, so there is that.

Back
Top Bottom