Silver Laced Orpingtons (LF)

I'm always looking to learn when it comes to genetics.
I've been in this chicken game about the same amount of time as you have.
I know a thing or two myself. And I will continue to post about this subject as long as you continue to post misinformation.
It is plain and simple. Silver and gold are sex linked. A hen only gets one gene and it comes from their sire.
A silver rooster will pass a silver gene and only a silver gene to his daughters regardless of whether the mother is silver or gold.
Those pullet offspring do not carry gold and they dont, won't and can't pass gold to their offspring because they don't have it. Period.
Ask any of you're expert breeders or study silver/gold sex link genes. This information is real straight forward and easy to find.

Well I went and asked the most professional Silver Laced Orpington Breeder I know! Keith Gibbons. I have great news! He said that to get more genetics in the Silver pool so they aren't as in-breed put a Silver Laced Roo over Gold Laced Hens! He said since the Silver Laced Gene is dominant all the Rooster from the Silver/Golden mix will be gold DONT USE! These are barnyard mix basically! He said that the hens will be Pure Silver! He said you can breed those back to the silver Roo to get more genetics!
Yes, this is very true, you can breed a Pure Silver Laced English Orpingtons to a Gold Laced and the resulting offspring will be daughters that are Pure Silvers and the males will be Gold Lace, but that being said..these so called True Silver Laced daughters will also carry the Gold Lace gene.. at some point and time these Silver Laced hen will produce Silvers that will also pass along the Gold Lace feathering in their offspring's, not all, but from my breeding this has happened to my breeding program that resulting to Silvers passing down offspring's that carry the Gold Lace feathering, this a warning to others that can and will happen. One must always be careful in selecting and raising "True Silver Laced Off Spring, yes then can be done with select breeding. Much luck to you all....I share this information so others can learn my mistakes.

I rest my case on crossing the Silver Laced Orpington and Gold Laced Oroington….this opens a can of worms for many generations to come..unless your a top breeder in Europe that doesn't sell every offspring's but rather wait until each offspring's mature to evaluate if they should continue in there breeding program. To bad more American breeders can not wait a watch chicks mature to evaluate what is the best bird going forward instead of what money can pocket there check books, sad but true! it would be nice if we can take a note from a friends over seas...time will tell. I myself is very thankful that learning from Europe has made e a better and understanding breeder. Good Bless to my friends over sea!

Yes, this is very true, you can breed a Pure Silver Laced English Orpingtons to a Gold Laced and the resulting offspring will be daughters that are Pure Silvers and the males will be Gold Lace,
That's correct that the pullets would be "pure silver" they are genetically the same as a pullet from two silver laced parents. The cockerels will be silver/gold and will look silver not gold. These will develop the yellow. That's from the gold they carry. Pullets can not be silver and carry gold. Therefor they don't yellow (not from genetics anyways) and they don't produce gold offspring or carries of gold offspring as long as the rooster bred with doesn't carry gold
but that being said..these so called True Silver Laced daughters will also carry the Gold Lace gene.. at some point and time these Silver Laced hen will produce Silvers that will also pass along the Gold Lace feathering in their offspring's, this is absolutely incorrect. Hens can only be either or not both. What they show is what they are and only what they are. They CAN NOT CARRY GOLD. They can't pass gold to any offspring because they don't have gold. That's what you're not getting.
not all, but from my breeding this has happened to my breeding program that resulting to Silvers passing down offspring's that carry the Gold Lace feathering, if you're producing gold or gold carrying birds its from the roosters you're using NOT the hens. Understanding how the silver/gold works would help you avoid that issue.
this a warning to others that can and will happen. You're not warning anyone. You're limiting them with misinformation. Gold laced can be used in silver laced programs if you understand how the genes work. Research for yourselves.
One must always be careful in selecting and raising "True Silver Laced Off Spring, yes then can be done with select breeding. Much luck to you all....I share this information so others can learn my mistakes.

Back to this nonsense again?
Funny you tried to pass this off as accurate advice before. After I explained it you then asked your expert and he confirmed that a hen from a silver laced rooster over a gold laced hen is indeed pure for silver lace. Exactly what I tried to tell you. Now you're back to the same inaccurate information.
A hen from that cross is pure for silver laced. It carries no genes for gold and will never produce any offspring that is gold or carries gold ever if bred with a rooster that is pure for silver lace.
That's simple genetics. Silver/gold is sex linked and is not that hard to understand. It baffles me how you can be so involved for such a long time with the silver laced pattern and not understand this.

Silver Laced 08-16-14 023.JPG

One of our foundation hens, brought over by the Netherlands by Bob Follows.

10-10-14 young Silvers 070.JPG

Young Pure English Silver Laced pullets (Skip Babies) A perfect example of the quality and size, and the perfect lacing color that is desirable in breeding a top quality Pure English Silver Laced English Orpingtons.

01-13-15 SilverLaced Skip 139.JPG
Skip the founding father of all of the Silver Laced English Orpingtons we see today..He was brought over by Bob Follows from the Netherlands. He is massive in size and is very gentle. He continues to produce offspring's, at this time we have a very limited offspring's as we are a very small breeding farm that only breed for quality not on a mass scale.

Attachments

• More SKIP 04-04-15 021.JPG
    More SKIP 04-04-15 021.JPG
    893.2 KB · Views: 3
We hope you enjoy the quality we strive for, not on a mass scale. We also have Spangle English Orpingtons that represent what a Spangle should look like. We look forward to sharing our offspring's to the few that are interested in improving what the English Orp what was intended for many generations to come! Thank you Autumn Farm English Orpingtons.

It is rather amazing that a breeder, that breed what is called a quality Orpingtons, but is determined to put his 2 cents in when he doesn't even breed the English Orpingtons. His claim to fame is "I had Chickens when Chickens wasn't cool... guess we don't know what planted he may have come but as a scientist chickens have been long before this claim was made! perhaps this makes him feel he is much better then most chicken breeders, Chickens have been on our soil for many, many generations and will continue to grace us whether among breeding and showing or enjoying all of us a pets! one must look and look at our surroundings to see how many breeds of chickens bring much happiness into all of our lives! Dr. Brennon long time observer of all domesticated chickens will continue to see what is best for all living creatures, perhaps this fellow should try a different approach to understand how important all fowl is a balance to our fragile environment. Stop looking at the bad but to realize all nature plays apart of a balance so we all can exist for all of us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom