Silver laced polish: Pullet or cockerel?

I’ve seen people post their white crested polish on here with quite the bright red and large wattles at 10wks so I’m just confused lol.
Because some polish have muffs/beards and some don't. Those that don't have muffs/beards can be sexed based off of wattle development by 10 weeks of age. Those with muffs/beards, like yours, will not develop wattles making sexing more difficult.

Because some polish have muffs/beards and some don't. Those that don't have muffs/beards can be sexed based off of wattle development by 10 weeks of age. Those with muffs/beards, like yours, will not develop wattles making sexing more difficult.
Oh! Ok, gotcha! Great to know! :) thanks again!!

I did not know this! So muffs/beards mean that they don't grow wattles as big and/or early, and not just that the wattles are less obvious/easy to see? I have some bearded polish with no wattle growth at nearly ten weeks that I'm trying to sex too. How reliable is the crest sexing? Some people say that the feathers grow in spiky and either crazy looking or more slicked back in males, and rounded feathers and globular in females. Others have said that, like silkies, males sprout spiky feathers at a later age?

Also what about comb development and reddening of the face areas. Do bearded birds develop at the same rate and non bearded? At what age should comb and face redness be visible for a male polish?

I did not know this! So muffs/beards mean that they don't grow wattles as big and/or early, and not just that the wattles are less obvious/easy to see? I have some bearded polish with no wattle growth at nearly ten weeks that I'm trying to sex too. How reliable is the crest sexing? Some people say that the feathers grow in spiky and either crazy looking or more slicked back in males, and rounded feathers and globular in females. Others have said that, like silkies, males sprout spiky feathers at a later age?
Crest sexing is reliable, once your birds are fully feathered. But it can take a practiced eye to notice the differences in male and female crests, and sometimes hatchery sourced females may not have proper crests, making it a bit tricky. Sexing by comb development is difficult because crested birds have small combs, and it's harder to see them underneath all those feathers.
Unfortunately, in some case you just have to wait for male specific feathering to develop.

Crest sexing is reliable, once your birds are fully feathered. But it can take a practiced eye to notice the differences in male and female crests, and sometimes hatchery sourced females may not have proper crests, making it a bit tricky. Sexing by comb development is difficult because crested birds have small combs, and it's harder to see them underneath all those feathers.
Unfortunately, in some case you just have to wait for male specific feathering to develop.

Thanks, this information is very helpful. :)

Back
Top Bottom