Silver Laced Wyandotte - Pullet or Roo? -- June 13th- 8 WEEKS OLD- new photos

What am I?

• Pullet

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters
Update and continued assist requested on these two "birds"!!!:/ Still not sure if they're pullets...cause there are so many opinions on what SLW look like and how they develop. Both are presently 14 weeks old (spot on by my calculations). The first 3 photos are of "Flora", the second 2 are of "Bashful". They both have some pretty pointy neck frill but only Flora has a bit more happening on what I think are saddle feathers (curved down and a bit longer). But Flora's comb is less red! Ha...so confusing! Thanks for your votes!!! Vickery What day's think????
Both are definitely pullets. The one with the redder comb is just maturing a little faster than the other. She'll lay eggs first. :)

All I can say is that the SLW combs are different from single comb chicks that we are used to because they are a "pea comb",,,mine looked similar and it appears "so far" (at 14 weeks) that "it" it a "SHE"! Mine looked similar to yours and them it didn't change much over the weeks to come...don't worry yet.
he.gif

Last edited:
She/he is making me the super nervous because my GLW has a comb not nearly as red. I know that they are individuals and they all mature at different rates, but they are just so different!

Your SLW looks a lot like mine. According to my calendar, my pullets are at 13 weeks tomorrow. I didn't think my SLW, Chicken Noodle, would ever get any white feathers. They are starting to fill in now. Her comb started developing WAY earlier than my other 7 pullets. It had me a little worried. I am voting PULLET on yours....which would be good for mine since it looks quite similar, and I want it to be a pullet. The other breeds I have are keeping me guessing too. I have two RIR, and two BR. One of each has started turning red, and commenced wattle growing. I also have one Leghorn, and one Welsummer. Neither of them has started turning yet.

This is the latest pic. You can see all the little "parts" are a little pinker now. I can say they are not "red" because one of my BRs has actually had their comb and wattle turn a red color.

Hi Giannini,
There's seems to be a lot of mixed information about SLWs feather color, etc indicating gender...and as with all pullets it seems to be quite the guessing game (unless you're a true veteran and can actually SEE them)! Mine are currently 17 weeks...SUPER red combs and waddles (but no squatting). These have been quite skittish but are beginning to "warm" to me and follow me around. SLWs have "rose combs" which are crazy interesting when you're used to plain old single ones! The first two photos are of one, 3rd is of another. Their feathers have turned out to be quite lovely but sure did take their time doing it! I just notice that we both live in Northern Nevada!

Hi Vickery! Yes, we are neighbors! We got quite the gulley washer last night. How about you? Your SLW are BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait until all my chicks get their big girl feathers. They are gonna be so beautiful strutting around. I told my husband 20 years ago that I wanted some chickens. Now that I have them I am so happy!

Back
Top Bottom