Silver Laced Wyandotte Sexing-7 weeks old

Mine today at seven or eight weeks, I'm not really sure of their birth day. But close enough.

Pullet, single comb

Roo, single comb

Pullet rose comb

Yes! see i haven't had them before but from what I've read i thought they were pullets too. Yes they have some red/pink but that seems standard for the breed. one of them has a little more white and i thought he might be a room but just watching them and such i feel like they are pullets.

I have to say that they look like pullets to me as well. My girl had the same coloring on her waddles and comb at that age and everyone thought roo but low and behold she is my best layer. Good luck!

I think all pullets. My 4 week old SLW has bigger wattles and a redder rose comb. I am no expert, keep us posted.

If I had to hedge a bet....I'd say pullets/hens for all of them. Roosters, by that age -and for this particular breed, tend to have what I call a "collar" around their shoulders/neck. It's usually a band of darker colored feathers around the neck, followed by predominantly white feathers all over their head. Pullets seem to fledge out with silver penciling/striping patterns on their heads with darker bodies --just like you see in those photos. My wife and I have been working with this particular breed for a few years now. She's kept a blog going for a while, covering the birds and misc other things around the farm. If you want the link to it just send me a pm or such. I can never remember if folks on the forums here want links dropped in posts or not.

I'm guessing #1 and #2 are pullets and #3 is roo. The scrawny tail, messy pattern on the chest and the red comb makes me think boy. Take it with a grain of salt though since I don't own SLW lol.

They should start getting their saddle feathers in soon. Pointed feathers = cockerels, rounded feathers = pullets. Pullets would be my guess without looking at them closer. I've also raised Wyandotte's for several years. 7 week old boys should have more comb development.

Reading the thread here is making me believe mines are pullets? They are also about 6-8 weeks old. Not certain on their hatch day. Please let me know as I cannot have Roos where I live. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom