Silver Laced Wyandottes, Are they sex linked?

Mariella posey

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
I bought some silver laced Wyandotte eggs 3 weeks ago and they have started to hatch! Are they sex-linked? I have 3 that have yellow faces and a singal comb and 6 with rose combs and dark faces? The adult hens I own all have dark faces and rose combs and my rooster has a light face and a singal comb but I was pretty sure the roosters are supposed to have rose combs?
I'm so confused!!!
If the roosters are supposed to have rose combs does that mean I have some sort of cross? I got the eggs and adult birds from different people so I was hoping they were all purebred. I will post pictures soon!

I bought some silver laced Wyandotte eggs 3 weeks ago and they have started to hatch! Are they sex-linked? I have 3 that have yellow faces and a singal comb and 6 with rose combs and dark faces? The adult hens I own all have dark faces and rose combs and my rooster has a light face and a singal comb but I was pretty sure the roosters are supposed to have rose combs?
I'm so confused!!!
If the roosters are supposed to have rose combs does that mean I have some sort of cross? I got the eggs and adult birds from different people so I was hoping they were all purebred. I will post pictures soon!
No, they are not sex-linked. Single comb is recessive, so that is weird. Pics would help.

From my understanding, and a savvy Wyandotte breeder may correct me, if pure, Silver Lace Wyandottes are not sex linked at hatch. Both male and female are silver patterned. However as they mature, the male pattern is different (lighter) than the female pattern.

What often happens is Silver Laced and Gold Laced are intermixed in flocks So if you bred a Gold Laced Roo to a Silver Laced female, then you would get sex link chicks....silver males and gold females.

Also, while rosecomb is standard in the Wyandotte, it is a dominant gene and can carry a recessive single comb gene which periodically exhibits in single combs. It is considered a default in show and breeding birds.

Picture of the chicks and of my roosters and one of his girls.

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    502.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 57

Back
Top Bottom