Silver .... no... Lilac....no... Silverlilac....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, May 30, 2012.

1. O.K. LOL..... I thought I had a Silver Muscovy drake. When I got him he was a beautiful light blue w/maybe a touch of cream here and there. Over time he has gotten .... browner? I thought I had a silver hen....not over time she has gotten ..... browner. Light brownish w/blue highlights. What gives??????? Are they Silver or Lilac...... or something else? I read somewhere... and lost it..... that the feet and bill color helped determine the color. Anyone else read that?

2. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Pix would help...lol

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I know nothing about Muscovy colors, but thanks to the Duck Forum, I am appreciating those ducks more and more. And if you can upload photo's, that would be neat.

4. O.K. here is my young broody gal
    Before:

[​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

and now Theodin, my drake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It isn't just the lighting. He was graying/browning out. I don't have a currant pic of him since he and my other drake have been fighting. He looks awful right now but I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. His feathers have turned browner. don't know if it's because they are 'old' feathers or he will remain a browner tone. I just am very confused as to what color these two are. Theodin does have gray legs while Sugar has mostly yellow. Sugar also had/has a pink bill and Theodin's is darkening to red and black.

I've gone thru a bunch of threads and posts but still am very confused by the silver & lilac designations. There are some birds I'd call silver & they call lilac.... and the other way around also. If you're selling these, what color would you call them?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, lovely, thanks! I see why you really want to nail down the color.

6. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I would just call the GORGEOUS!!! [​IMG]

7. [​IMG] Tks, Nsampsel.... though that still doesn't help me when I advertise ducklings w/this color.

8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    LOL...true...Post pix with them & let people guess the color they are buying...[​IMG]

9. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Songster

Sep 5, 2011
    maybe old feathers... my silver pied drake looks like he is turning slightly brown. i don't know if there is a difference between lilac and blue fawn. your hen looks similar to my blue fawn hen ( that is what color i was told she is) but a lot lighter. [​IMG]

10. I think I'm about too.... let them guess, that is. [​IMG] I may just say we have silver/lilac/blue fawn ducklings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: