Silver Pheasant eggs - mail

Koeyohte

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

Does anyone here have any experience with shipping hatchable eggs? I have had 3 silver pheasants for the past year and raised them since they were a few months old (they had never been handled before and were petrified of me and anyone else. I had gotten to the point recently to where I could touch them and they would take apples from my hands). Sadly, raccoons broke into their aviary and took my male and one female as well as two bobwhite quails who were with them. I found only one female pheasant and one bobwhite the next morning. They were still in the pen and I have no idea why when they could easily walk out through the gaping holes. I was very attached to them and had enjoyed raising them. Now I have my one lone female, Astrid and her bobwhite companion.

I did get two males from the people who had given me these birds. They are both very frightened of people as they were never handled either and I am worried about them killing each other or my female (or the bobwhite), or her killing them. The people I received them from had placed their siblings with another pheasant and the other one killed them both. I am pretty sure I am just going to take them both back.

I would like to hatch pheasant eggs so I can have friendly birds. I have been looking into peafowl and turkeys as well and haven't yet settled on what I would most like to do. But I definitely loved my pheasants and want to raise them again. I also use their shed feathers in crafts.

Thank you for any help,
Koey

Hi Koey,
Sometimes shipped eggs get x-rayed and that will kill the embryo.If you can find someone local,I think you will get much better results.
In N.H.,Tony.

I've had chicken, pheasant, turkey and duck eggs shipped as far as from new york to arizona and have never even had one break during shipment. Have had great success in hatching and plan on shipping eggs this spring. I think it depends a lot on the experience of the shipper and how much care they put into preparing the eggs, and of course, your local post office. If your shipper identifies them as live hatching eggs I doubt that they will be x-rayed. You do need to notify your P.O. that you are expecting the eggs so they will have your number to call when they arrive. I failed to do this one time and had a shipment of mallard eggs ride all day in a delivery truck in 100 plus degrees, but still had a good hatch. Of course like Tony said, if you can get local eggs, thats always best.

Not sure on shipping eggs . But before i would give a coon another bird . I would set me a have a heart trap with some sardines in it. I would about bet if he got one meal he will be back.

I have shipped ducks eggs out to the pacific coast. None of the eggs where broke but only one successfully hatched. You can always give it a whirl and see where it gets you. I know I just introduced a male and female to my one female I raised form 12 hours old. They all get along pretty well, my female was actually cooing and rubbing on the male!! Lol!!! I wish best of luck to you!!!

Thank you very much for all of your responses!

I will look into seeing if the PO will call to let me know if they were to receive eggs. The people I received my pheasants from said their PO refused to do that and had countless eggs broken and unhatchable as the deliverer would drop them over the gate until they put a table on the other side for him to set it on.

Back
Top Bottom