Silver Runner hen x Welsh Harlequin Drake? And other genetic questions

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I'm just starting to read about duck genetics and it's very fascinating. I have some questions for the more experienced ...

1. If I bred my Silver Runner Hen with my Welsh Harlequin Drake (silver phase) what could I expect?

1000004871.png
1000004872.png

2. I have a black runner hen. She has 1 white feather on each wing and a patterned underwing. From what I have read this may mean she is E/e+ - any insight? (The underwing pic below is not mine but looks just like my ducks)
1000004822.jpg
1000004873.png

3. Does my blue runner drake below carry a bibbed gene?
1000004534.jpg

4. Someone told me my black and white runner drake below has the Ancona gene. I've not seen that talked about in all the things I've read about genetics. Is it just a white duck with leakage?
1000004279.jpg

Thank you!!

I'm just starting to read about duck genetics and it's very fascinating. I have some questions for the more experienced ...

1. If I bred my Silver Runner Hen with my Welsh Harlequin Drake (silver phase) what could I expect?

View attachment 3627436View attachment 3627437

2. I have a black runner hen. She has 1 white feather on each wing and a patterned underwing. From what I have read this may mean she is E/e+ - any insight? (The underwing pic below is not mine but looks just like my ducks)
View attachment 3627445View attachment 3627448.

3. Does my blue runner drake below carry a bibbed gene?
View attachment 3627452

4. Someone told me my black and white runner drake below has the Ancona gene. I've not seen that talked about in all the things I've read about genetics. Is it just a white duck with leakage?
View attachment 3627454

Thank you!!
Those are such lovely ducks!
As far as #4 goes, your drake does look to me like he has Ancona markings, but there is no Ancona gene. Ancona patterns are caused by the runner gene combined with the extended black gene.

Ok great! Thank you.
Would that mean he could potentially produce penciled offspring?
He could! Ancona patterns with a single extended black gene can produce tricolors, which are the ducks that don't get the black gene, and they have penciling. If he only has a single runner gene also (I still haven't figured out how to tell), he could end up with quite a variety of offspring.

I believe I can answer #1. Your silver has two blue alleles so all of the offspring will carry blue. If she is homozygous for black (good chance she is), then all of the offspring will be solid blue. If she is heterozygous for black, 1/2 should be solid blue and 1/2 blue fawn.

He could! Ancona patterns with a single extended black gene can produce tricolors, which are the ducks that don't get the black gene, and they have penciling. If he only has a single runner gene also (I still haven't figured out how to tell), he could end up with quite a variety of offspring.
Interesting! Thanks for your insight. This is all so fascinating.

Back
Top Bottom