Silver sussex light sussex gene?

Backyard Bantam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
I bought 10 eggs from someone on ebay, she said these were greenfire farm hatching eggs. 6 of them hatched just 2 days ago, and 2 of those chicks are light sussex ( I believe). I emailed the lady, and she said that silver sussex carry the light sussex gene???? Is that true?? She also said that those light sussex will be able to produce silver sussex?? I'm thinking that she might have splits, not pure silver sussex.

Quote:
light sussex are columbian patterned birds, Silver Sussex is Silver Partridge.

You can cross Light over Silver and get all appearing Light with very good pattern. You may see some silver in future generations. I woul dnot expect any Silver that produced Light to be of very good color quality. The cross of the two is often in an effort to resolve color issues with the light. This is teh same pattern as Columbian Wyandotte, Columbian OE, Light Brahma, and the Silver is the same as Silver Partridge and Dark Brahma.

Columbian patterned birds are typically Partridge based.

Quote:

You can cross Light over Silver and get all appearing Light with very good pattern. You may see some silver in future generations. I woul dnot expect any Silver that produced Light to be of very good color quality. The cross of the two is often in an effort to resolve color issues with the light. This is teh same pattern as Columbian Wyandotte, Columbian OE, Light Brahma, and the Silver is the same as Silver Partridge and Dark Brahma.

So do you think they are crossed? And does that mean that the 4 black chicks are NOT pure silver sussex??

Quote:

So do you think they are crossed? And does that mean that the 4 black chicks are NOT pure silver sussex??

I would doubt of any of them being pure anything.. Pure breed well managed birds breed and produce in a predicatable manner. When they don't you cull the breeder birds and start over.

From what I understand there are very few if any PURE Silver Sussex in the USA. The gene pool is just to small. Some people say that if you cross 2 Silver's you can only get Silver's. I have not found that to be true.

I have received hatching eggs from 2 Silver's and hatched Light colored chicks. The guy who sold them to me on ebay called a liar and all sorts of names. Then other people started to get light chicks from his eggs. He never apologized to me. I have learned since then he probably received bad information and just didn't know the real story.

It is just part of the Sussex Gene pool that we have here in the USA. I would not worry to much about it. Just cross you Silver Colored Sussex to each other and in a couple of generations you will get less and less Light's.

Hope this helps

Regards
Suzie

Back
Top Bottom