Simple but Effective Feed Recipe

Pine Roost

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I have been looking all over for a simple feed recipe and all I find has 100 ingredients and is not saving a bit of money. I'm talking about Corn, Wheat, Soybeans, maybe some fish meal....stuff like that.

Does anyone have a recipe that I can mix to feed to my layers to keep them healthy and laying good? I also have access to a grinder if I need it.

I would appreciate it. thanks.

Truth is, it's a little complicated. If you have any other livestock, you'll notice that they constantly need mineral supplements. If you were feeding chickens just scratch grains, you would need to do the same for them.

Use protein as a general guideline. Then use fresh, high-quality ingredients to ensure energy (which allows proper nutrient uptake). Don't forget vitamins and minerals. Last but not least, let them free range on a diverse piece of land so that they can supplement whatever you are feeding them with other natural things they will find on their own.

Check out this page for some basic info.

Go to www.Fertrell.com and click on poultry. At the top of the page there is a link for poultry rations. This is their basic soybean rations. If you search Fertrell poultry feed recipes I think they have a bunch somewhere else both soy & no soy formulas. It's tough making your own cheaper, unless of course you have access to cheap grains. These recipes are for a ton, but you can divide them & make any amount you want.

Truth is, it's a little complicated. If you have any other livestock, you'll notice that they constantly need mineral supplements. ...
Very complicated on a small scale.
MIxing things to meet their energy and protein needs is fairly simple. However, there is really no good list of ingredients that you can buy that will provide all the vitamins and minerals they need.
You may be able to find a mineral and vitamin mix if you're lucky.
I have a source for lots of those minerals and vitamins but they're extremely concentrated and some are for mixing into perhaps 10 tons or more.
A couple feed mills around here stopped making their own feed because they said the vitamins went bad before they were able to mix enough feed to use them.

This link may help.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~chibale/an12poultryfeeding.pdf

Very complicated on a small scale.
MIxing things to meet their energy and protein needs is fairly simple. However, there is really no good list of ingredients that you can buy that will provide all the vitamins and minerals they need.
You may be able to find a mineral and vitamin mix if you're lucky.
I have a source for lots of those minerals and vitamins but they're extremely concentrated and some are for mixing into perhaps 10 tons or more.
A couple feed mills around here stopped making their own feed because they said the vitamins went bad before they were able to mix enough feed to use them.

This link may help.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~chibale/an12poultryfeeding.pdf

Fertrell Nutri- Balancer is sold in 60 lb bags that make a ton of food. While this is a lot for only a few chickens, they do sell a packet to "recharge" the minerals after 6 months. It is easy to scale down their recipes & you use 1 1/2 lbs per 50 lbs of food. If you can find a Fertrell Mineral dealer, they will sometimes sell you a smaller portion.

Back
Top Bottom