Simple Economical Coop and Run Design

Carolina Chicken Man

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I spent a couple of days going through this forum, and the easiest, most functional coop and run design I found was posted by DENALI on 3-23-08 Titled " 3 Hour Coop" . I am a construction project manager, so take my word for it. However, they used chain link fence sections and metal on roof and sides, so it had to have been fairly expensive( I would estimate $1,200-$1,500)

I am beginning work on a coop and run now, based on this design. I will be using treated fence posts and wire, and will only use metal on my roof. My overall dimensions will be 10'x20' and the coop will be 10'x4', should be good for 10 chickens. I think that I can get the coop and run in for around $400.00 I will not be able to complete in 3 hours like Denali, but I think a good hard weekend will do it.

I will post progress photos when I complete, so if you want to see a simple and economical design, stay tuned.

I was not being critical that he used the kennel panels. If I had them laying around I would use them too. But, if you went out and purchased that material, it would have been expensive. I flipped through 50 pages of this forum, and that was the simplest design.

I see a lot of posts on this site, looking for an economical coop. Denali's lay out is it.

I'm just using treated fence posts. Will not be a problem.

My grandfather was a farmer, and I lived with my grandparents until I was 7 years old, and spent all of my summers there until I went to college. He depended on his garden, chickens, pigs, and goats. I didn't know you could buy milk in a store until I was 7 years old. ( I'm gonna have some milk goats soon)

Chickens aren't nearly as delicate as some people who post on this website may think. My grandfather had around 50 chickens that free ranged all of the time. They mostly roosted in a big pine tree. His coop had plywood with rolled roofing on the walls, dirt floor, and I can't remember him ever cleaning it out.

I've seen some really nice set ups on this site. Chickens don't need nearly that kind of luxury to prosper.

If you give them enough space, and fresh air, they are definitely better off than the chickens who lay the eggs you buy at the grocery store.

Quote:
lol.png
No kidding, I have to laugh at how pampered some of these birds are. Not that I won't spoil my own, but they sure don't NEED it.

Looking forward to seeing your coop, I thought DENALI's design was perfect.

Hey there!
Basically on my "quick coop" i used what i had on hand, and in a hurry as i had hens coming in a day or two at that time. In other words basically no out of pocket expense other than the tin and the netting. The tin cost me basically $1 a running foot at my local lumber yard (small town buddy system gets a better deal). The roof had 5 12 footers so that cost about $60 and the 3 sides fully enclosed took 9 10 foot sheets so that's $90 and the front i put on 2 6 footers to partially close it off only so another $12. So basically my out of pocket cost was less than $200 with the tin, netting, and a box of self tapping screws to attach the roof to the 2x4's. If you had to go buy all new kennel panels etc then yes it would be quite a bit more. But i am all about recycling what i have on hand unless it will end up looking like a turd then i will spend a little to make it look decent. Part of being married and all! LOL If you can take a bit of time and do the craigslist thing then your costs would be cut considerably. I even had my father in law offer me the tin for free if i wanted to pull it off an old barn but i did not have the time to do that or my costs would have been like $30 total out of pocket for the netting and screws.
Speaking of recycling, for my permanent coop i am thinking about using part of a machine shed. I bought a 30x80 shed a few years back and put it up myself. I was only able to put up 70 foot of it do to property line issues. (You can see it in the picture of the coop below) So i have a 30ft wide by 10 foot deep section left to erect that is basically worthless as is. If i use it i will shorten the sidewalls so i only have a 10 foot peak rather than the 14 the shed has. I may narrow it as well but i am still playing with the idea a bit as i really only need about a 10x16 coop for the amount of birds i want to keep.
Anyhow good luck and keep us posted!

1b.jpg

Denali,
Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, I spent quite a few hours over several days going through this forum, and your coop and run was the most efficient that I saw. You were luck to have had those chain link fence sections. That made it really easy. My back is still killing me from running those post hole diggers today.

Thanks for running your pics, it was my inspiration. Keep an eye out for my pics in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom