Simple Grit Question

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
My "chicks" are now about 11 / 12 weeks old. Do they still need chick grit or can they just have the crushed granite my big chickens eat?

Chickaroo,

Haven't you learned by now there is no simple question here?
smile.png

At about 12 weeks old they are probably almost as big as the big chickens. I would guess that it is OK.

My birds run loose during the day and I sure hope that with my clay soil the are finding grit. I have a gravel driveway so grit is available but the younger ones haven't discovered it yet.

I just bought chick grit today and the bag said only feed up to 10 weeks. Is there a different grit for adult chickens I wonder? I am going to keep feeding it after 10 weeks until the bag is gone.

dacjohns:
gig.gif
Ture, very ture!

Biddieacres: Well, I bought chick grit at TSC and it was very fine (almost like sand) and it had a reddish color to it. The big chickens get crushed granite which is more like little rocks.

Anyone else know?
idunno.gif

There is chick grit, and there is grown-up grit. It is the same material, but chick grit is ground finer.

I would think that if you gave your mostly-grown chicks the big stuff, they will be able to find enough pieces their size.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK good to know. Thanks.

chickaroo! I got the red grit too. I put a small bowl out for 7 chicks and it is gone. I guess they love it or just really needed it.

barnyard: No; at least I don't think so. Aren't you only suppose to give chickens oyster shell if they are laying hens?? I thought grit was just for aiding in grinding up their food.

The grit we're talking about is crushed granite. It's pink. It has some calcium added, but not as much as oyster shell contains. They shouldn't get oyster shell until they are laying.

At least that's my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom