1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Simple & Versatile

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickNanny13, Dec 13, 2015.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Nothing fancy.....Started off as a dry wall table (3 x 8) when Hubby was remodeling our house & never left. Several years ago I got involved raising hatches until 8wks old for a breeder. Started them off in a large plastic bin with light in the house, had Hubby enclose the bottom of the table. Worked great. He then built a corner table (2 x 8) for my gardening which we enclosed too.

No longer doing that, now have 2 RIR & 2 EE (bought as Ameraucana) that are "pets with benefits". They're 8wks, Hubby installed a removable perch going the width, they didn't like it & chose to sleep in the pan with shavings. So then had Hubby do the "T" facing the window....They LOVE IT! They all sleep there now.

The run is 5 x 8 for chicks to get sunshine, got bird wire over the top. It's light enough that I can move it around the yard as they wore down the grass. Next project is a bigger run for the 4 pullets I have now, probably a 8 x 10 x 6 the dog house will be raised off the ground and perches added.

The chickens spend the night in the 'coop' & walk out to the run for the mornings, in the afternoons they have run of the yard & go into their coop when it starts to get dark. Nothing fancy, simple & versatile....Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very nice! Everyone on BYC would like to come visit you and see your coop, especially once the snow start flying!

3. swedeNH

swedeNH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Neat operation you have going on!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by