Simple waterer vs nipples/cups other contraptions.

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I have been using two five gallon buckets with horizontal nipples for my flock. Recently we integrated some new pullets and I wanted to make sure there was extra feed a water for them to be able to grab what they need while being chased around, so I put some bowls of water out. I noticed EVERYONE prefers to use the bowls for drinking. I also feel so ridiculous having these clean fancy clean dispensers when they will ALWAYS choose to drink from whatever standing water they can find. I went ahead and ordered these to place around our large run. Since it’s winter im not concerned about them getting gross quickly (it gets cold here but rarely freezes). But I’m wondering if others use simple water containers like these year round and just completely forgo the large bucket waterers with nipples. How often do you have to clean something like this? Do you dump and refill with fresh water daily?

IMG_3518.jpeg

I use simple water containers year around as the only waterers. Mine are 3 quart wine cooler buckets. I dump and refill every day. Well, very nearly every day. I have very little trouble with them getting yucky dirty but they get dusty.

I'm sure it is partly because chickens generate dust from dander, dust bathing, and scratching the ground/bedding. Here, there is also a lot the dust early spring through late fall from fields being worked and dirt roads not far away. There is less dust in the winter but I need to empty and refill once or twice a day because they freeze.

Either way, spraying it out with the garden hose (summer) or kitchen sink sprayer (winter) keeps it quite clean. I use dish soap and actually wash it sometimes - every day most of the first year but it's been three or four weeks, sometimes, now that its been a few years. It still looks clean enough after rinsing that I would (almost) drink from it myself. Sometimes, I still wash it with soap and water every day because why not, its so easy,

I'm very happy with them.

I use simple water containers year around as the only waterers. Mine are 3 quart wine cooler buckets. I dump and refill every day. Well, very nearly every day. I have very little trouble with them getting yucky dirty but they get dusty.

I'm sure it is partly because chickens generate dust from dander, dust bathing, and scratching the ground/bedding. Here, there is also a lot the dust early spring through late fall from fields being worked and dirt roads not far away. There is less dust in the winter but I need to empty and refill once or twice a day because they freeze.

Either way, spraying it out with the garden hose (summer) or kitchen sink sprayer (winter) keeps it quite clean. I use dish soap and actually wash it sometimes - every day most of the first year but it's been three or four weeks, sometimes, now that its been a few years. It still looks clean enough after rinsing that I would (almost) drink from it myself. Sometimes, I still wash it with soap and water every day because why not, its so easy,

I'm very happy with them.
What's the reasoning for washing with soap so often? Im only asking because I watch them regularly drink from standing rain water. in fact they seem to prefer it dirty. They race for sandy dirty puddles.

With nipples, or maybe any waterer, they will go for a new easy to use waterer every time.
I've always used only HN's, they drink just as much from the nipples as an open waterer( I measured over time). But if there is rain water or snow piles the waterer use definitely is reduced.

What's the reasoning for washing with soap so often?
General good practice.

The risk of problems from only spraying it out vs washing with soap so often it is probably very low but the cost of washing is very, very low.

The risk from drinking out of mud puddles is considerably higher. The vet said not to let the dogs drink from puddles because of diseases wild animals spread in the puddles. Thise diseases may not be contagious to birds. Others are - avian influenza, for one.

I let mine out, accepting such risks but encourage drinking from their own waterer as much as possible. Clean, cool, fresh water in their waterer and good drainage where they range (actually, we do the good drainage mostly for the plants and buildings.)

You might consider checking the mineral content of your chickens' diet. That is one reason chickens will crave dirty water.

Back
Top Bottom