Simplicef Antibiotic - OK for chickens?

battagliac

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Woodland, CA (near Sacramento)
We lost a hen last week, and the necropsy done respiratory problems and suggested pneumonia, and today our rooster is coughing and only makes a weak crowing sound. Our avian vet is closed until Monday, and we wonder if we can give him a measured dose of Simplicef, which is left over from an eye injury our cat had. It's only FDA approved for dogs, but a UC Davis vet prescribed it for our cat and I read one BYC post from someone that was told by their vet (who owns chickens) that they could use it for chickens respiratory infection. I guess I'm hoping there's a vet our there that can comment or someone that has experience with this antibiotic. This is what I've read about it: Dose range: The dose range of SIMPLICEF (cefpodoxime proxetil) tablets is 5-10 mg/kg (2.3-4.5 mg/lb) body weight, administered orally, once a day. The dose may be given with or without food. The determination of dosage for any particular patient must take into consideration such factors as the severity and nature of the infection, the susceptibility of the causative organisms, and the integrity of the patient’s host-defense mechanisms. I've never weighed our rooster, but he's a big Barred Rock, and I'm estimating he's 5-6 lbs. I'm thinking to give him about 1/4 (25mg) of a 100mg tablet today and tomorrow and then get him to or talk to our avian vet on Monday.

HI. Did you give that particular antibiotic to your chicken? Successfullly? I have a chicken with raspy breathing and maybe a sneezing. I can go to TSC tomorrow, but I have some leftover Cefpodoxime from a sick dog. I am worried about her getting worse overnight. And I'd like to give her this if I can. I was planning to dissolve the tablet in water and give her a very small dose.

Back
Top Bottom