Simultanious quarentine of different flocks

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
Ok. Not exactly "flocks" . I am thinking of adding two birds to my existing group of 6.
YOU FOLKS ON BYC ARE INCREDIBLE! Six months ago, I would have brought them home and tossed them in with the other birds! I was so naive.
Anyhow, quarentine, as I understand it from BYC. Runs over 100 yards apart. Separate everything, food storage, feeders, water source, the works. Wash hands between visits to runs. Then if alls well, introduction in a run inside the run for beak to beak familiarization.
The question: The newbies will be from different flocks. Realizing if one is sick I could lose both birds. A gamble I am willing to take. I can't do two separate quarentine pens. But what about socialization? Both are new to this run, both disoriented by the relocation. Neither has a home field advantage. I know chickens will do what chickens will do, and that is usually what we humans least expect. But your input. Think it will be a smooth transition? Or a disaster? Chickens will be approximately same size, young hens/old pullets.

I've always raised my own chicks, so have not attempted what you are suggesting, but for what it's worth, it sounds like you have a reasonable plan to me. I wouldn't expect the 2 pullets to fight. In fact, they will probably bond and that will make their integration into your flock a little easier for them.

Think it will be a smooth transition? Or a disaster? Chickens will be approximately same size, young hens/old pullets.
Might be either...have a plan B, like a wire crate that will fit into the area.
Putting them both into a 'new to them' environment at the same time may remove the territoriality issues fro then equation.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

FYI.....semantics, maybe,
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Got it. Info I already have. The birds I DO NOT HAVE. To clarify, I will be looking for chickens somewhere around a year old, thus young hens/old pullets. Thank you, though.

As you stated, a proper quarantine is a difficult thing to do correctly, and if you don't do it correctly, you may as well not do it. A lot of people pretend to quarantine.

As to your question about your two new birds, if you are looking for birds, get a pair from someone. Problem solved. If you really do get two strange birds, at the same time, from two different places, about the same age and size your set up should work, with a minimal dust up. A lot of posturing, fluffing up, chasing might occur for the first 20 minutes or so. Have hideouts, roosts, and two feed bowls and let them work it out one on one. Put them together in the very late afternoon, as close to dark as you can, but enough light for them to find the coop and roosts.

There is no perfect way. And once in a while you will get a bird that does not fit in your set up with the other birds. Give it two weeks, if it has not settled down, it probably won't. Sometimes in a bigger flock it will work.

Don't over think it, don't expect deep friendship right away, give them space, no blood don't worry and see what happens.

Mrs K

Well I'd get birds from the same place. Meaning two that you plan to introduce to your existing flock.
Birds carry multiple diseases and are carriers without showing symptoms. So what ever your Birds have or the new birds have that the others don't will show up because stress brings out the symptoms.
Unless you actually preform a bio hazard quarantine disease transfer is going to happen.?

Well I'd get birds from the same place. Meaning two that you plan to introduce to your existing flock.
Good idea. Do you know of a breeder who has both Langshans AND Black Copper Marans, and would have them in the same run so they are already socialized together? I'll call TODAY and see what I can work out. Save me the headache of trying to chase these beasties down.

Good idea. Do you know of a breeder who has both Langshans AND Black Copper Marans, and would have them in the same run so they are already socialized together? I'll call TODAY and see what I can work out. Save me the headache of trying to chase these beasties down.
No I don't...I'm in Canada...:frow

From my one and only experience introducing "adult" hens, it took about 2 weeks until I was comfortable letting them out into the run together. Then there was fair amount of chasing, but the new girl had room to get away. Even after they were ok in the run, they didn't let the new girl in the coop at night for a little over a week, even though she kept trying. Is there a way to divide your quarantine coop for a bit? Getting two that have been together would certainly be easier. Are you set on those two breeds? Maybe pick one breed, and get two of them, and add the other breed later?

Back
Top Bottom