Singer Treadle Sewing machine model 15-88 ~Pictures~

quintinp

Songster
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
Southern Oklahoma
I just got this baby for 60 dollars at an antique shop. Although it shines nice and bright in the photos, it didn't start out that way, I had to put in about 3 hours of straight non stop work to get it to this point.

Wow even those gold decals look great! Great find!!

I have one that I swear looks identical but with a motor on the back. It's said that the first electric ones were the same treadle machines but with a small motor added on, and now I believe it. Mine isn't nearly as good looking as your is but has had LOTS of use through the years and is still going strong.

Wow even those gold decals look great! Great find!!
I have one that I swear looks identical but with a motor on the back. It's said that the first electric ones were the same treadle machines but with a small motor added on, and now I believe it. Mine isn't nearly as good looking as your is but has had LOTS of use through the years and is still going strong.

I love how great the decals look. This one is supposedly a rare machine. It is supposedly the last machine that was made to have been used with a treadle. I don't know how accurate that last one is.

Mine has a screw hole where a motor would mount onto it.

I would guess that your machine would really like to be rubbed with some sewing machine oil. I did that and let the oil set for a minute, and then I wiped it clean.

Yes when I saw the back of yours I could see where the motor would mount. Mine has had so much use these past 60+ years that the decals on the base are worn almost completely off. Only the ones around the right end are still bright. It's a model 201. Those were made starting 1939 but I believe mine was made in the early 50's. I looked it up by serial number once on Singer's website but forget precisely the year.

It would have looked like this new:
singer%205.jpg

This is not my machine or my picture.
But as I said, most of the gold on the lower plate is worn off from years and years of cloth being pulled through it. And though I don't sew a lot, cloth is still being pulled through it. Mother kept it oiled and cleaned and knew it inside and out. I am having to teach myself how to do it all now but there's so many excellent online resources now that I don't fear messing with it at all.

PS: I did notice on yours the "tire" for the bobbin winder is gone. I'd be willing to be you could get a replacement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom