Single Chick?

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
I'm snickering at the title. Sorry. I'm mentally a 10 year old.

So, I really want to get one more chicken. I want to get a Copper Marans. Around here though, I can only find week old chicks. Could I get just one chick, or do they not do well unless there's a couple of them?

So you only have 1 chick right now?? If you do, how old it is?
Or are you saying you only want to get 1 maran? You shouldn't get just 1 if it can't go with the other chick, chickens are social creatures. 2 should be the minimum to get.

I currently have 8 chickens. Two are roosters that I want to get rid of.

I want to get one more hen, but I think a week old chick should NOT be with my two month old pullets.

So, I should a minimum of two chicks?

I see that chicken math is starting to get me. Uh oh!!! I wanted a total of four chickens. But, when I bought my SLW and EE, they made me get a minimum of five. So, I bought five, figuring I'd sell a couple of them. But, then I went and got attached to all of them and won't sell any of them.

Quote:
I am attached to mine, too, even the excess roos.
barnie.gif

I got just one EE chick for a few days, and she just seemed so lonely. I ended up getting another Oliver Egger EE chick to keep her company, and she was so much happier with a friend-
cute, but pitiful:
52854_mirror.jpg

I would get two or even three. They'll be good company for each other while they are in the brooder but when you go to integrate them with the others it's a lot easier if your adding two or three then just one. A loner added to a flock is the center of attention and can really get picked on.

i always get groups of four or so. they keep each other company and warmth. never had a single baby chick do well. plus when they do get older and can introduce them with the other they wont be the single man out

I have four. Do I hear five? Five? Going once, going twice....

Love that chicken math.

I wanted 3, but MPC would only ship 8, so that is what is coming next week.

Back
Top Bottom