Single Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roscoe Mandella, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Roscoe Mandella

Roscoe Mandella Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    My wife, son and I were at my parents today and they got chicks last week. They have 10 chicks, 3 turkeys, and 4 guineas. My son is 15 and wanted one of the chicks because he loves animals and I know he would care for it and spend all of his time with it but I don't know if one chicken would be okay because no ones home during the day. We have 2 ducklings that are about a month old. So overall would 1 chick get lonely? It's a naked neck turken.

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    dont worry, chickens tend to be okay by themselves. you can mix the ducklings and chick together when they both are about the same size.

3. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all, Welcome to BYC! If you are going to have it as a pet inside then I suppose one is alright. But if it will be living outdoors in a coop, one chicken is never a good idea. Besides chickens being very social birds, you need a few to maintain warmth in the coop during winter. A minimum of three is also recommended because if one dies, or something else happens, a social hierarchy is retained.

4. Roscoe Mandella

Roscoe Mandella Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome! I will see if I can find a few similar age chicks at my feed store. Thanks for the help.

5. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    2nd that.

This is what leads to "chicken math" though. LOL! Your son (and the rest of the family) is going to enjoy raising chickens.

6. CooCoo 4 Chicks

CooCoo 4 Chicks New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    I hatched one chick a few months ago and it nearly drove me insane until I got it friends. Good luck if you just do one chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by