Single comb Rhode Island white

thechickenswamp

Hatching
Jan 10, 2020
I know that pure breed Rhode Island whites have a rose comb and that most hatcheries that sell them sell a single comb version. But when people always say that the single comb variety is “fake” and not the same breed it kind of irritates me. All chicken breeds are just a mix up of the same genetics to give you specific characteristics And that’s what gives you a breed, a group of chickens with very similar traits. Also rose comb breeds throw out single comb baby’s every once in a while so people could have got a single comb in the Rhode Island white and liked it more because it more closely resembled the more popular Rhode Island Red. That’s what I think I would appreciate to hear your thoughts. Thank you

Yes I get that there supposed to have a rose comb for the standard and for showing but one disqualification doesn’t mean it’s a whole other breed. Thanks

If the standard calls for rose combs then they should have rose combs. Single combed birds in a Rhode Island White flock should not be used for breeding.

I agree that only rosecomb birds are supposed to be breeding, but when somebody gets a single combed bird from a hatchery it doesn’t mean that it’s a whole other breed it just means it’s incorrect for the breed

I agree that only rosecomb birds are supposed to be breeding, but when somebody gets a single combed bird from a hatchery it doesn’t mean that it’s a whole other breed it just means it’s incorrect for the breed

Agreed. But it's also makes it very hard to say for sure that they sent you a Rhode Island White or did they send you a White Rock. I wish the hatcherys would breed to standard.

Back
Top Bottom