Single comb silkie roo?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
single comb roo right? I was hoping this chick was a hen he has curled toes and a single comb i know i wont be using him for breeding i was hoping he would be a she and i could use him as a broody.

SDC10024.jpg

SDC10023.jpg

Quote:
im kinda curious... what make you say its a cockerel?. looks like a hen to me. never really sexed silkies. or not often anyways

-Daniel

Although it's not a very good angle to evaluate the bird, you can still see the streamers coming from the crest, and the comb is already getting quite large. Also, the type more resembles that of a cockerel.

Both Hen and roo to this Chick has the walnut comb but when I became a member of this topix i learned something about my roo that his comb was red and should be mulberry colored. The chick does have the mulberry colored comb but its a single comb. Yeah I figured he was a rooster. Poor little guy have him with one of my roosters that I got from Kentuckysilkies who is beautiful and true to type of the silkies in every way but will be moving him soon to put with a hen so I guess this little guy is gonna be lonely.

I also just recently learned about the single combs in silkies. When I saw his comb growing in as a single comb I began searching the site. Its a default and unwanted in good breeding stock. The roo and hen of this chick has always gave me beautiful chicks even though my roo has a red comb. This is the first with the single comb. My little girl is very fond of him because he is so sweet he is the only roo I have that lets her pet him. So he has a forever home with me but I hate that he will be lonely.

Added as you noticed my silkies don't like their corn. Picky little guys I buy the mixed grain feed for them and they always leave the corn..LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom