Single duck left after coyote attack: how to keep her from getting lonely

wits end gardens

Chirping
Jun 13, 2019
A coyote attack took most of my flock and one of the two survivors passed this morning. I am worried about my single survivor's emotional well being now that she is all alone.

Caitryn is a Welsh Harlequin about 3 years old. She was not injured in the attack and is physically healthy. But she is now all by herself. :-(

I have new hatchlings coming in late May (with a couple geese as guardians), but that's a long wait for her. She is currently in the house vs the run and, despite the change in venue, seems unperturbed so far. But it's still early.

I am wondering if getting a couple little ones sooner rather than later is an option since Caitryn has always been more of a brooder. Or if a stuffed animal might be company (they had one when they were chicks). She has always been bonded to her flock vs people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you find any adult ducks in your area? Maybe one that is at least adult size. If not, getting a few duck buddies sooner rathet than later is probably best. She can be separated from them but still see them. Plus you can monitor her interactions to see if she can be integrated sooner.
Otherwise, she might prefer being a house duck. 😁

Can you find any adult ducks in your area? Maybe one that is at least adult size. If not, getting a few duck buddies sooner rathet than later is probably best. She can be separated from them but still see them. Plus you can monitor her interactions to see if she can be integrated sooner.
Otherwise, she might prefer being a house duck. 😁
Thanks for the tip. I put some feelers out for grown duck buddies, we'll have to see how that goes.

Truth be told, I'd love it if she were my house and greenhouse buddy. But I'm certain I'll get an earful from my husband about her being in the house when he gets home tonight. 😬

Ask your local wildlife organization. They are sure to have juvenile ducks they need to rehome.

I just rehomed 8 juvenile muscovies on a private lake [ducky paradise] and there are a further 8 needing homes.
You might even find 2 juvenile females to offer a home to and friendship to Caitryn

Ask your local wildlife organization. They are sure to have juvenile ducks they need to rehome.

I just rehomed 8 juvenile muscovies on a private lake [ducky paradise] and there are a further 8 needing homes.
You might even find 2 juvenile females to offer a home to and friendship to Caitryn
This is a great idea. I'll give them a call today.

So far Caitryn is doing pretty well. I work at home and have been with her a lot. She's eating very well too. She's not interested in leaving her nesting area yet but hopefully tomorrow she'll want outside to enjoy a nice warm day.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom