Single Duckling Died

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Whatjusthappened, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Whatjusthappened

Whatjusthappened Hatching

Apr 4, 2018
    We have (had) 10 duckling that we purchased from TSC about 2 weeks ago. Currently they are kept inside in a tub with a lamp. We JUST cleaned the tub out yesterday and let them snack on some grass in a box outside with us while we cleaned. Everyone seemed fine being put back in last night. I checked on them around 11am (actively checked on them, prior to that i always glance in on them) and one duckling was soaking wet, laying on its side, barely breathing. I tried everything I could think to do. I pulled him out and tried getting him dry, cleaning his bill, holding him under the lamp. He wouldn't lift his head, barely moved his feet, basically lifeless. I set him down to go get warm towels and when I got back within 2 minutes, he was gone.
    What happened? The rest of the babies seem fine, and there was one other duckling from the same "batch" who passed away the same day we got him. Was he just meant to pass? What might have caused it? Should I be concerned about the remaining babies?

I'l add, I'm 25 weeks pregnant. I know that technically I'm probably not supposed to be handling them very much, and I avoid it when I can, but I couldn't just ignore him there. Is it possible I've put myself at risk as well?

Sorry for all the questions, we are new at this and I thought we were doing well with it up until now.

Allie Grace Sanders likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I really don't think your at risk I am sure you probably washed your hands good after handling.

I have no idea unless the duckling just got wet and chilled too much. Keep an eye on the rest.

here is some good info on ducklings with a pic of a homemade waterer that may keep them drier. with having that many ducklings you'll probably need more than 1.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

Very sorry for your loss.

casportpony likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC! So sorry for your loss. If he was soaking wet when you found him that is probably what killed him. :( Once they get wet like that that they get chilled very quickly and can die from hypothermia.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: