Single duckling! New owner needs advice!

parker13

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm new to owning ducks. Well A duck. I found her by herself at a fishing lake, nothing around. She chirped for hours while we were there, searching for mom I assume. But alas, nothing. I couldn't leave her, knowing she was alone and so tiny. So she's been in my bathtub for the past 2 weeks. I've done a lot of research on food, treats, socializing and the like. I take her outside almost everyday to get some sun and grass. I've introduced her to water, and she likes bathing and splashing around.
I also hold her a lot. I'm looking into getting diapers because when I leave her alone, she chirps and I feel terrible about it. At this point, she follows me around when were outside and only allows me to pick her up, not anyone else in my family.
Question is... I don't really have the outside space for a run/coop/pond for her. I know you can keep them as inside pets, and I'd like to learn about that.
I know she's lonely right now... But I definitely don't have room for another duckling.
What can I do to ease the loneliness?? Are there things I can put in the tub with her to keep her entertained? She has a blanket and stuffed animal that she likes to cuddle with.

•No, the tub isn't filled, lol.
•I don't know what kind of duck she is, whether she's male or female, etc. I don't know anything about them really, but want to learn. She still is covered in all down, but I'm feeling little prickly spots coming in, feathers I'm assuming, so I think she's in the 3-4 week old range?

Any help is appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I'm new to owning ducks. Well A duck. I found her by herself at a fishing lake, nothing around. She chirped for hours while we were there, searching for mom I assume. But alas, nothing. I couldn't leave her, knowing she was alone and so tiny. So she's been in my bathtub for the past 2 weeks. I've done a lot of research on food, treats, socializing and the like. I take her outside almost everyday to get some sun and grass. I've introduced her to water, and she likes bathing and splashing around.
I also hold her a lot. I'm looking into getting diapers because when I leave her alone, she chirps and I feel terrible about it. At this point, she follows me around when were outside and only allows me to pick her up, not anyone else in my family.
Question is... I don't really have the outside space for a run/coop/pond for her. I know you can keep them as inside pets, and I'd like to learn about that.
I know she's lonely right now... But I definitely don't have room for another duckling.
What can I do to ease the loneliness?? Are there things I can put in the tub with her to keep her entertained? She has a blanket and stuffed animal that she likes to cuddle with.

•No, the tub isn't filled, lol.
•I don't know what kind of duck she is, whether she's male or female, etc. I don't know anything about them really, but want to learn. She still is covered in all down, but I'm feeling little prickly spots coming in, feathers I'm assuming, so I think she's in the 3-4 week old range?

Any help is appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
welcome-byc.gif
so sweet of you to rescue her for surely she would not have made it. if you can post some pics that would help us give you an idea of breed. and I'll get you a couple links to give you more info on caring for your lil one. one thing you might want to add to her bath tub /brooder is a non breakable mirror, look in pet bird department. I'll get you some linkshttps://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

This is my little one. She's all yellow, but has gotten some white fluffiness to her backside recently. Based off of what I've read here, I think he/she is a Pekin?

Thank you for the link!! I'll definitely get a mirror for her today.

Last edited:

This is my little one. She's all yellow, but has gotten some white fluffiness to her backside recently. Based off of what I've read here, I think he/she is a Pekin?

Thank you for the link!! I'll definitely get a mirror for her today.
She is adorable. and since she is Pekin I'd advise you to get her on some Niacin supplements, these ducklings grow so fast their little legs have a hard time keeping up and chick feed just doesn't have the niacin ducklings need. you can buy niacin in tablet form or capsules and the rec dose is 100-150 megs to 1 gallon of water. Sad to think about but a lot of ducklings are dumped at lakes through out the world after Easter, and she could have been one of them or her mama could have been a dumptee and when this lil one hatched it may not have been able to keep up with the flock or brood, she is very blessed that you found her . Keep us posted on her life with you.

Last edited:

This duck is at my county shelter, and I'm thinking of getting him/her as a friend for my pekin. I bought my current one a rabbit hutch that has 2 stories, and I'm going to be putting it outside.

Question about the one in the picture... Any idea how old? Male/female? And what are the black spotted areas on the bill?? Is it normal?

Thanks guys!

This duck is at my county shelter, and I'm thinking of getting him/her as a friend for my pekin. I bought my current one a rabbit hutch that has 2 stories, and I'm going to be putting it outside.

Question about the one in the picture... Any idea how old? Male/female? And what are the black spotted areas on the bill?? Is it normal?

Thanks guys!
What a pretty duck Can't tell if male or female or how old although it doesn't look like an old duck, can you see a drake feather? that's a couple of feathers that will curl up at base of tail and ducks quack loudly drakes have a raspy quack almost like they have a cold in their nose. That would be so cool to get your Pekin a friend. and I have see others talking about spotted bills nad they are normal. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom