single egg in incubator. questions???

Bacteria starts on outside of the shell and infiltrate inside. If you haven't sanitized your hands while messing with incubator chances are probable for contamination.

If that's the case, put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and fine mist the inside of the incubator. Two shot of mist is enough.
I just opened the lid and took out the 2 bad ones and closed the lid with out touching anything else. So that should be ok right? right after I disposed of the bad eggs I washed my hands. I think the smell was from the chick that quit on day 9 or 10. I thought it did but wasn't sure until last night, should have taken it out then.

Long story short. I started with 11 eggs. put 5 in the incubator, 6 under my broody. I only have 1 in the incubator still developing, and 2 under my broody. I would really like to see one hatch and also have my girls see it. Would it be ok to leave the single egg in the incubator till it hatches and dries off then put it with the broody (the eggs were all set at the same time). Do I need to do anything special with just 1 egg in the incubator? I still have 2 quitters in there but think I may have smelled something today so want to take them out so they don't kill the ONE that is still going......... but don't want to throw temp and humidity off at all. I have fake wooden eggs that I can add to the incubator but not sure they would help anything. I have read ceramic ones can be used but I don't have any.

Oh the eggs are on day 14.
Removing just 2 eggs should not hurt the humidity
It’s when it’s a lot of eggs in or out that can change things up
The risk of them blowing up and causing bacteria and killing the single egg is much worse then taking them out
As for the single chick being taken to mom I have no idea @Miss Lydia will be able to help with that

When you know you need to mess with the incubator, wash your hands first to remove the bacteria on your hands. Doing it in reverse will add more bacteria to the incubator.
Oh I had washed them before too. Just meant I didn't touch anything after I touched the eggs. I used one hand to open the lid, held it open while I grabbed the eggs with the other hand and closed the lid with the hand that didn't touch the eggs.

I have been able to give a few of my hen's chicks they didn't hatch. Just place the chick inside your hand so it's covered and slip it underneath your hen. Most likely she won't even know. Just stand around to make sure though.
I am hoping since the ones under her should hatch at the same time she won't notice a spare. Lol. I have read to do it when dark. Should I do this or when lighter? They should hatch next Tue. I set them around 3 pm. I do have a camera in my coop that has a good view of her in the nest box so I can watch from there too

I am hoping since the ones under her should hatch at the same time she won't notice a spare. Lol. I have read to do it when dark. Should I do this or when lighter? They should hatch next Tue. I set them around 3 pm. I do have a camera in my coop that has a good view of her in the nest box so I can watch from there too

With no rooster in my flock I gave my broody hen purchased chicks. I did it during daylight and she accepted each and every one.

You will just have to watch for rejection.

Back
Top Bottom