single hen stopped laying - what do I watch for if sick

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have a 16 month old barred rock who has been faithfully laying for the last ten months, even all through winter. We had some flock changes this summer due to a hawk and she was alone for a while until we added another hen. Through all of this she kept laying. Recently the new hen went broody and I let her hatch out four eggs. The new chicks are 4 weeks and everyone is doing "ok". However, I have not had an egg for the last week. Marble (my rock) is a daily layer and now nothing. I just want to make sure she is not sick. She does not appear stressed and is eating and drinking normally. She is on chick starter, due to the chicks, but has been eating oyster shell and I've fed her some eggs and other high protein items. She did lay a few eggs in the garden for a few days rather than going into the coop, but is no longer doing that. Mom is sleeping in the nesting box with the chicks, could that be a problem? I do change the bedding daily because of this and I am hoping she roosts with them soon.
Marble has not molted yet that I know off, but I see no current sign of this. We do live in Michigan and the days are getting shorter, but last year this had no effect on her production. She is not walking funny or going into the nesting box with no product. I don't care about the eggs, I just want to be sure she is ok.
AM I missing anything? I am new to chicken raising. Thanks for the advice.
Here is a pic of Marble.

Attachments

• marble.JPG
    marble.JPG
    768.3 KB · Views: 5
Marble has not molted yet that I know off, but I see no current sign of this. We do live in Michigan and the days are getting shorter, but last year this had no effect on her production.
Most chickens do not molt their first fall/winter.
So she's due.
Eggs stop before feathers start falling.

I’m in the same situation. I had one of my girls, a Super Blue Egger, stop/slow laying her pretty blue eggs ( I was getting 1-2 a week from her) and after looking out in the run I’ve confirmed that she’s started to drop her feathers.

Back
Top Bottom