Single Hen

Chicks n more

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
We now have a single hen due to a recent tragedy to our flock. We had a daylight racoon attack that tragically killed two of our beloved hens ...the other two (and ourselves) were severely traumatized and they mourned their sisters... we ended up losing one of the last two, because she couldn't accept the loss and we think she may have been injured in some manner during the attack as well.

We have very cold winters where we live and are worried about our single hen surviving without the joint heat and companionship of her flock mates. We are planning on picking up some chicks to replenish our flock in the spring but wanted to know if we can and or should try and add another hen to help get through the winter months? Has anyone encountered something like this, or have any suggestions for me?

What is you climate like. R.E. Im in SW neb. Also what breed is your lone hen.?
Can you find her a pal easily? if so that's what I'd do they are flock animals and will thrive better with a bud.
We live just east of Denver CO. Our girl is a Black Star. We are still unsure if an adult hen would be best? New situation for us.
And yes, she is SO very lonely & still calls out for her flock mates.

We live just east of Denver CO. Our girl is a Black Star. We are still unsure if an adult hen would be best? New situation for us.
I would look around and see what you can find. Craigslist and Facebook. I would see what my choices were at this time of year and go based on that. Any age would be fine as long as they are past needing heat or a brooder. (If they are way smaller than she is, she will peck them to establish dominance, but then they should get along. Some people do a “look but no touch” introductory stage, some people just throw them in together.)

Getting two now would be ideal. She has home turf advantage, they each have one buddy. If you got 3 or more, then she would still be an outcast from the group. (But at least she wouldn’t be alone, and she would rather be on the fringe of a flock than have no flock.)

Then in the spring you can decide if new chicks are warranted.

Climate is close to mine then. I would get her a friend or two like was suggested. If at all possible do the "see no touch" so as not to introduce disease or health issues to her. Even if you could look around at other owners and borrow a hen till spring. The hatcheries sell pullets in winter but they're expensive! I'd check FB or CL.first. I'm so sorry for your loss . Have you checked the rehoming site on here.? Their are a few Colo folks here.

So sorry for your loss. I would definitely get her a couple buddies her age. It might not be smooth and easy interacting adult hens but it will be worth it for her sake.

I had the opposite issue. I took in my next door neighbors hen that had lost her flock overnight. My 8 ladies were not too keen at first but Maggie is one of the girls now.

Just be patient. You don't just throw them together and expect them to be best friends braiding each other's hair and making friendship bracelets. It's more like arguing and hair pulling. Don't dispare. It does not last forever.

So sorry for your loss. I would definitely get her a couple buddies her age. It might not be smooth and easy interacting adult hens but it will be worth it for her sake.

I had the opposite issue. I took in my next door neighbors hen that had lost her flock overnight. My 8 ladies were not too keen at first but Maggie is one of the girls now.

Just be patient. You don't just throw them together and expect them to be best friends braiding each other's hair and making friendship bracelets. It's more like arguing and hair pulling. Don't dispare. It does not last forever.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are going to a farm today that may have some hens and pullets...we are hopeful!

I would look around and see what you can find. Craigslist and Facebook. I would see what my choices were at this time of year and go based on that. Any age would be fine as long as they are past needing heat or a brooder. (If they are way smaller than she is, she will peck them to establish dominance, but then they should get along. Some people do a “look but no touch” introductory stage, some people just throw them in together.)

Getting two now would be ideal. She has home turf advantage, they each have one buddy. If you got 3 or more, then she would still be an outcast from the group. (But at least she wouldn’t be alone, and she would rather be on the fringe of a flock than have no flock.)

Then in the spring you can decide if new chicks are warranted.
Thank you for your insight, and recommendations, we are going to look for a hen today!

Back
Top Bottom