Single ISA Brown in a Flock?

Olive_Egger

Chirping
May 27, 2021
My ISA Brown is the only one in our flock. She's so nervous all the time. She basically has crippling anxiety and social anxiety, but in the cutest was possible. The other chickens will peck her and chase her, and she can't stand up to them. Even my Olive Egger will chase her away if it's a matter of treats! She dashes away every time our rooster moves his head. Her voice is so high, and she's really adorable, I just wonder if it would be better to have another ISA Brown in the flock?

I always try to keep 2 of each kind, but I'm not sure it would help. My original flock consisted of Isa Browns and a brahma. The brahma was never taking any grief from any other chickens. She doesn't care who is top chicken, but don't mess with her. I have an Ee that is low, but a lover and she will take others under her wings. I also have a BA that is low, and she runs from anyone who looks at her the wrong way. She has another BA buddy, but it isn't helping her with her own tendencies.

My flocks seem to develop pecking order through age. Also through my limited experience, I’ve noticed the old adage is true birds of a feather flock together. Cluck a poo, was the lowest until this years chicks began free ranging, then they were under her and boy does she know how to dole it out.:rantlol

Back
Top Bottom