Single lil dumpling

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
Morning from sunny and super hot south africa. Yesterday I got the call iv been waiting for,for our broody silkie mom. A tiny hatched baby that nobody wanted and was found outside their door. Yes I know nature has its way but I'm giving this dumpling what I have. So it's brand new,hatched night before I picked it up. Tiny little thing. Last night I went to put it under cupcake the hen and she did not like it. There was alot of shuffling and squeeling,I took the baby out. This morning she is out of her broody mood and running around completely bratty.
I'm carrying little one in my too otherwise it cries. It knows I'm it's mommy. It's perky and noisy,walks good. I'm just worried about it eating. A mommy would teach the little one. Last night I used a syringe with a little glucose in water to drop droplets onto its beak and that went fine.
Any suggestions on getting little one fed? Or should I mush up the mash and syringe that too?

20230226_144346.jpg

OK panic over. We prefer to eat inside moms top. Nibbling on cookie crumbs. I have starter mash I'll have to put in there too. :lol:

If they get cold their appetite disappears. So, if you get a heat lamp you should be able to get her to eating outside of your shirt :) Peck at the chick starter with your finger, and tapping noises with a fingernail on plastic feeder are helpful.
They really need siblings if you have any farm stores or breeders near you.

If they get cold their appetite disappears. So, if you get a heat lamp you should be able to get her to eating outside of your shirt :) Peck at the chick starter with your finger, and tapping noises with a fingernail on plastic feeder are helpful.
They really need siblings if you have any farm stores or breeders near you.
Thanks so much for info. Gosh I'm struggling to find some little friends.

Back
Top Bottom