Single older hen attacking pullets

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
My mom has a 1.5 year old hen (Sweet Pea) who came to her yard and never left. We bought 5 chicks to raise to keep her company. The chicks were raised inside but since being old enough, have spent a lot of time outside in a separate fenced area. They are now 17/18 week old pullets.
Sweet Pea has free rein over the yard and the pullets are in an enclosed area with wire fencing. Sweet Pea spends her day, hanging out with the pullets next to their fence. She seems to enjoy them.
Until one gets out of the fence.
Then all hell breaks loose and she wants to kill them.
This has happened a few times with different pullets. She seems to attack them all the same.
The goal was for them to live together. Her inside the fence (protected from predators).
Will she end up killing one of the pullets?
Even though she is outnumbered 5:1?
How can we transition them to live together?

Maybe you could get some pinless peepers for her? I have never used them (though I have just ordered a pack for my hens which are pecking my fifteen-week-old pullets) but many people here on BYC have. I’m sure someone with more advice will be along to help soon :)!

It is most likely, about territory. She sees outside that area as her territory, inside their territory. I have had luck flipping them around, putting the old biddy where the pullets are, and the pullets where the old biddy is, feed along the fence. It changes the territorial rights a bit.

In a run, is it just an open rectangle where every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time? If so, add a lot of clutter. Places where birds can hide or get out of sight. Disappear for a few moments will often make all the difference. Roosts, mini walls, pallets up of blocks, leaned against the wall - it will look cluttered, but the hens will like it better.

The pullets will be laying soon, they will rise in confidence when they do so. She won't be able to terrorize them generally speaking.

The pin less peepers is a very good suggestion for this problem too.

Mrs K

Helpful info, thank you! I love the idea of them switching places. Sweet Pea loves any chance she gets to be in there.
I’ve heard of pinless peepers. I’ll look into them if these other tips don’t help.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom