Sinus infection behaviors

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York

So I was outside giving my feathered kids some snackies,when I decided t take some pics! My Buff Orps are always ridiculously friendly! As you can see,my "Blondie" wanted to check out my phone camera! Well,I was petting her and noticed a "snot" on her eye. So I went in to get a medicated wipe to clean her. I came back out,she must have flung the nastiness,but wiped her eye and nostrils anyways. So I did some research,which of course led me back to this great forum,and am sure she has a sinus infection. Most likely caused by stress from the weather temps. 10degrees days ago,to about 45 degrees today. Our weather has been horrible! Anyways,I went to my local feed store and got Tylan 50. I administered 1/2cc orally.

Does anyone have any experience with sinus infections in their chickens and this product,recovery time or any behaviors that may indicate getting better or worse? I would just like to share so others know what to expect,and as to not worry. My personal experience so far, is that i've noticed Blondie hanging around inside the coop away from the others the past few days.She is still as friendly as ever, abd estimg and drinking as normal. I even gave a tsp of mothers ACV in all their water today.I can update on how she feels in the next few days of her on her meds. I'm glad I caught this in time,so she isn't suffering too long!

Oh,and one question. Does anyone know if this Tylan can be added to all my birds drinking water as a preventative against catching a sinus infection from Blondie?

It could be mycoplasma (MG,) which is treated with Tylan or oxytetracycline. I would give 1 ml for a 5 pound chicken orally twice a day for 5 days. Separate her and don't medicate other chickens unless they show symptoms.

It could be mycoplasma (MG,) which is treated with Tylan or oxytetracycline. I would give 1 ml for a 5 pound chicken  orally twice a day for 5 days. Separate her and don't medicate other chickens unless they show symptoms.

I had read on a thread from this forum that the dose is 1/2cc per regular size breed. I gave her that last night. I don't have any way to separate her,she is in with 5 others. I would figure the reat have already been exposed if ahe had this before I noticed it. This is why I asked about adding to the water for the rest of her little flock. Whatever she has,she looked alot better just with the meds overnight!

Back
Top Bottom