Sir Henry the Loud is now silent

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Sir Henry was a magnificent Iowa Blue rooster who came here as part of a breeding trio more than seven years ago. He and the two hens, Lady Emma and Lady Louise, were mature birds then, so I don't know how old he really was. But he was the last of the original three.

Yesterday morning, when I opened the coop, he wasn't roosting, which seemed a bit odd. But, he came out of the coop, like he did every day and ate with his coop mates.

At feeding time last night, he was lying down in a corner of the run, upright, but clearly struggling to breathe. I knew his death was imminent when he showed no interest in a red grape treat. I've seen enough deaths to know that it was too late to save him.

Three hours later, he was gone, stretched out in the corner, head on the ground and legs stretched out behind him. At least he passed with the warmth of the sun and the feeling of a light breeze on his body, and one of his daughters as company to the very end. And, I want to believe he didn't suffer much or for very long.

I have never heard a rooster with such an incredible and incredibly loud voice. I miss it already. Rest in peace, my gorgeous boy.

Back
Top Bottom